AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

AdWords Express
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Make the most out of your AdWords Express campaigns
Guide Me
star_border

Ad positionining

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Greetings, I'm a business owner and complete novice in all of this. Recently, I set up an AdWord Express ad with a fairly large budget of $400 a month. However, it is only showing up at the bottom of Google search results, while my competitors are at the top. Why is this? Thanks, kindly. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Ad positionining

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Charles,

There are several reasons why this could be happening. 

They could be spending more than you. They could be using AdWords (big brother to Adwords Express) and they could have a higher quality score, more advanced targeting methods set up (like bids set to first place), better ad copy, better website, etc..

How new is your account? This can affect performance since a new account has to be assimilated and understood. 

Are you in a highly-competitive industry or one that is more of a niche? This can matter and your competitors may be spending $4000 monthly and paying a advertising agency another $1500 monthly to mange the website and ads. 

Please keep in mind that just because your ads are seen sometimes at the bottom of the page, this does not mean they are always. The system will try different placements to see what brings the best result for the searcher (consumer). What we do as businesses and advertiser is feed options to the system so we can possibly be the best match to the consumer's request.  

If the system pushes you ads heavily at the top of the page and they do not gain clicks... guess what it does? It rotates yours to a new placement and brings in something different to see if that is what the consumers want.

It could be that you are searching for your ads and damaging your own quality score. If you are searching and seeing your ads and then doing nothing, you just brought your quality score down. You trained the system that your ads were not right for the request. If you click on your ads and then close your website, you eat up your own money and damage your quality score. If you click on your ads and then stay on your website but do not convert as a natural consumer would, your eat up your money and bring down the relevancy of your website. 

You may want to create better ads. Or you may want to rework your AdWords Express completely. Or you may want to make some adjustments to your website to dial in the relevancy of your ads, search phrases and website content.  

Since you are spending $400 monthly, AdWords Express Support will actually provide assistance with the operation of your website, if you prefer. Call 1-866-246-6453 Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (EST).

Of you can dig in and learn more about AdWords Express and how to get more from your actions. You can learn a lot by reviewing the links on this page.

If we can answer any specific questions, please do let us know.

All the Best,

James 

Ad positionining

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, kindly, for you detailed and thorough response.

A few things:

1) Our business is a niche one, indeed: wildlife control

2) Our website is rank 1 in the area for visibility and keywords

3) This is our first time doing in-house Google AdWords advertising. Typically we outsource it, and currently we have some of those companies promoting ads as well, while they are still contracted

If we switched to regular AdWords, from Express, would be see better results at the top of the page? What would you recommend? 

Again, thank you!

Ad positionining

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Charles,

You are very welcome and thanks for the additional information. 

Yes, by switching to AdWords, you can control many more elements of your digital advertising. AdWords is full feature and designed to allow complete control. AdWords Express is streamlined and designed to be simplified and with basic control. Two very different platforms... but both with merit and both with pros/cons, depending on user.

If you take a look at this information, you will see what one of things I mentioned that a competitor may be using in AdWords. 

Please note that AdWords is robust and full feature, so you or whoever operates it needs to fully understand it. AdWords Best Practices should be utilized at every step. 

Because this is the AdWords Express community, we will not go into much more about AdWords, since it will cause confusion for people finding this help thread later on. If you end up switching to AdWords, please direct new questions to that community (located next door). I am over at The Adwords Help Community, too, and will be happy to assist further, along with many other TCs and RSs. We are here to help.  

Best Wishes,

James

Ad positionining

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

James,

Thank you, again, for a helpful response. If we decide to switch to AdWords, from Express, will our $400 budget switch? Is this something we can do immediately right now, or do we have to cancel and restart? 

Ad positionining

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Charles,

You are very welcome, sir.

Yes, your budget will remain, as will any funds in the current AdWords Express account. To switch, just give support a call and they will properly convert your account for you. Call 1-866-246-6453 Monday-Friday, 9:00 am to 8:00 pm (EST).

Kind Regards,

James