AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad not showing for broad match modified keyword

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

In an ad group, I have an exact match [mens blue widgets].  I also have a broad match modified +mens +blue +widgets.

When I search for "Looking for mens blue widgets", the ad doesn't trigger.  In the Ad Preview of Adwords, it says, "Your ad isn't being shown for this keyword because there may be other ads within your account that are ranked higher and have similar keywords."

How do I fix this?  I've just started using the BMM match types and thought this would help me find some longer tail keyphrases.  I'm guessing someone is going to say I have to get rid of my exact match..but why?

Thanks

Re: Ad not showing for broad match modified keyword

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Tommy,

No, you don't have to get rid of the exact match type as that cannot show up for that search term. You exact match keyword will trigger ads for the search term if written in the exact same manner as your exact keyword (mens blue widgets), nothing in front or behind the search term will trigger from this keyword/match type.

Now coming to the BMM keyword. The ad preview message means that you have similar keywords in the account (whether phrase/broad type) are triggering ads because they have a better QS/ad rank. I would suggest looking in your account and adding inter-campaign & ad group negatives to avoid such issue. Once you add negatives you make sure from where certain set of queries should trigger from.

Hope this helps. Smiley Happy

Regards
Rohit Khanna

Re: Ad not showing for broad match modified keyword

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy

I suggest that you make different ad groups for exact and bmm match and add exact match keywords as negatives to the ad groups containing bmm match keywords. It will solve your problem. Also you can increase the bid for the bmm match keyword, which will start picking up the traffic and after some time you can lower the bids again.

Hope it helps...

Abhishek