Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad groups not getting impressions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have 3 ad groups within the same campaign, one targeting new users, one targeting users who have an interest in social apps, and one targeting users with an interest in entertainment apps.

However only the ads targeting entertainment users are getting any impressions, the others are still at 0 after a week. 

Originally they all had the same CPA, but I lowered the CPA for the entertainment group by nearly 30%, leaving the other two much higher - but it's still the only one getting any views!

Any ideas what could be causing this? Are my CPA bids too low? What settings should I check that might be causing the ad groups to compete with each other and only the one group to show? 

Thanks for any advice.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad groups not getting impressions.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey Brandon. Just a couple of things you can check...

1. Are there active ads in those ad groups?
2. Are you using "Target and Bid" and have other display targeting settings that are making your targeting too narrow?
3. Related to #2, do you have multiple targeting criteria one of which has a very low manual bid?
4. Have you tried other bidding strategies? If the ad groups have no conversion data, maybe that's negatively affecting impressions.
5. Is there an impression cap in the campaign setting?

That's all I can think of. Double-check these items and let me know if any one of them fixed the issue! Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Kevin,

All of the ad groups have the same active ads, just different targeting.
The targeting is (interest + demographics/males+unknown)
I think there is an impression cap set at 3 per person per day.

All of the ad groups are literally copy-paste of each other with target CPA bids. But only one is generating any impressions. :c

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Brandon,

What type of Campaign did you setup?
What is your targeted location?
What devices or OS are you targeting if app install campaign?
What is the CPA bid set?

There are many contributing factors that can lead to no impressions. Kevin did a great job pointing some key ones out?

When in doubt if the CPA bid is high enough you can always limit your daily budget and up your CPA to that of your daily budget. This is a nice quick way to see if you CPA bid may be too low.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author brandon k
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
There is sometimes a quirky behaviour with CPA bidding in which the system seems to be unable to identify searches that might lead to a conversion within the CPA limit and so refrains from serving an ad.... this can result in literally no ads being served as the system kind of collapses in on itself.

Try changing the bidding to manual - or one of the other options instead of CPA and see if you can trigger impressions by playing with the bids yourself.

Once you have found a bid level that triggers a better flow of conversions you can look to switch back to CPA bidding.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I think this is the problem. I always looked at the CPA, but after looking at the automatic CPC it was set to $.01!

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Yep - that would do it - Glad you got it sorted out.