Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad group level keywords vs ad level keywords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all, we are managing one of our first AdWords client and I have a question. Let me explain our structure:

We have two campaigns. Within the first (call it "Shoes"), we have one ad group and within the second (call it "Shirts"), we have two ad groups ("Men" and "Women").

Within our second campaign, each ad group's keywords' status' that say the Eligible but they are not being shown because "One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword."

I checked; those keywords are not being used in any other ad group (meaning the keywords assigned to "Men - Shirts" are not being used in "Women - Shirts" or "Shoes").

How can a keyword only assigned to one ad group be used in other ad groups? The error says "ads", not "ad group", so my question is: is there a way to specify specific keywords on the ad level instead of ad group level?

Thank you for your time!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad group level keywords vs ad level keywords

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Tara,

Usually the error message states which keyword it is using instead, is it giving you that information?

Can you tell us what match types you are using? If you are using keywords such as Men's shoes and women's shoes, using broad match, they could overlap.

If this is the case, I would suggest adding negatives to each ad group to help mapping. For instance, in your "Mens" ad group, you could add "women", "womens", "ladies", etc. as negatives to ensure that your broad keywords don't overlap.

Hope this helps!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Tara,

Your best bet would be using -ve keywords at the ad group and the campaign level to prevent any overlap as Amy mentioned.

If the problem still persists, please get in touch with the AdWords support. It could be a technical issue. I've seen a such bug before.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply, Amy.

Unfortunately, it doesn't tell me which keyword is being used.

The keywords in that specific campaign don't overlap in ad groups, but they do overlap with the other campaign. Could that be where the keyword is being used? I was assuming that campaign to campaign, the same keywords could be used but not ad group to ad group (within the same campaign).

The suggestion of using negative keywords in each group sounds good. I'll try that!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the input, Ahmed. I will definitely try the negative keywords. Also, thanks for letting me know it could be a potential bug. Google is usually so perfect, I forget that bugs are still possible Smiley Wink
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Tara W
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Tara W,

If you have overlapping keywords in separate campaigns, they are still duplicate terms. There is no way to tie keywords within an ad group to a particular ad.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'll have to pick one campaign for each of the keywords then. Thanks, Pete!