Guide Me
star_border

Ad copy split test + sitelinks - Need a work around

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I am looking to split test non-discount ad copy with discount ad copy (offering a percentage off).

The only issue is sitelinks.

Because I am unable to allocate sitelinks to a specific ad I can only show one set of sitelinks for both ad variations.

This split test is happening on brand keywords and because we have b2b and b2c clients clicking through to our website via brand terms and I am only interested in b2c, I am unable to use Analytics and have to rely on our internal financial tracking system.

Additionally because our internal tracking relies on parameters appended to URLs, I have...

Basically I can't use Analytics...

I was thinking of duplicating the campaign, one for one ad variation, another for the other and day part so that ads show on alternating hours but you can only have 6 day parts per day.

This means I have to have blocks of four hours.

Due to the nature of our business this is too much as performance greatly varies great;y every four hours.

Similarly I am unable to do it daily for the same reason.

Long story short I need to ensure that the ad that is being displayed for an impression has the corresponding sitelinks.

So does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Ryan.
1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author RyanHoldaway
September 2015

Re: Ad copy split test + sitelinks - Need a work around

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Ryan; Great to see you back!!  Smiley Happy

Due to the complexity of the sttsiatical variables involved (as you mentioned), and since it it hard to "isolate" the effect of one metric to get a result,  which is statistically significant, I would opt for your suggestion: splitting into two campaigns, and rotating between the two, every day, over a period of time, long enough to give a clear indication, which performs better.

It would not be a classic "mutivevariable statistical experiment" - but this is the best under the limitations you face.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, Moshe.

Fantastic reply.

It's a bit frustrating that I am unable to perform a true split test sitelinks 'n' all. What you propose would be the best course of action.

I suppose as long as I run the test for an even amount of weeks so that each variation gets to see every day of twe week, I should be fine.

It's a bit frustrating though that the option isn't available to allocate sitelinks to a specific ad.

Thanks again!
Ryan.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Well... If Analytics was linked, that would be easier... (But you said this not an option - at the moment)
As for sitelinks: it's too complicated as is... I can understand Google- trying not to "complicate" it further;
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Analytics and AdWords are actually linked.

The reason I can't use Analytics for this task is because Travel Agents (we're a travel brand) and our consumers (individuals/families etc) both visit the site via the same traffic sources (in this case, brand keywords).

I have amended the Analytics code to add custom variables so I can distinguish between agents and consumers, however this is nowhere near accurate.

The structure of the website and Analytics that I have inherited are terrible at best.

Things are slowly changing but I still have a long way to go.

I still feel sitelinks are in their infancy in terms of structure and (more considerably) reporting. I am sure Google are working on improving this as we speak so I look forward to future developments.
Ryan.