4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad coming up outside targeted area

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a mobile dog grooming business.  I have set up my campaign with targeted locations based on my service area.

Off and on I have been seeing people search for cities/states outside my targeted location.

For instance, if I am based in Tustin, someone does a search for dog groomers in Las Vegas, my ad comes up even though they were searching for a groomer in Las Vegas.  Or in the case of today, the person's IP address was in Burbank and they were searching for a groomer somewhere in Iowa.  I am guessing the Burbank searcher had their location set up in my area.

I want people outside my targeted area to see my ad if they are searching for a city in my area or if their location is set for within my area.  But I don't want my ad to come up if they are in my area, or have their location setting in my area, but are searching for a city or state outside my area.

I tried setting up a county as a negative location, if they are in that area and search for a city in my targeted area, but that sadly didn't work.  The lady at Google suggested I do a location ad extension so they'll hopefully see to not click the ad, but unfortunately I do not have a physical location so that won't work.

Any ideas on how to do this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad coming up outside targeted area

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

That should have not happened...but as you said,  "on and off" you might see it happening;

The reason for that, is that Geo targeting is not perfect: sometimes (due to technology and telecom infrastructure) people who are physically in one location, would be assigned by the internet service provider or cellular carrier, as if they were in another (near) location. (Though on a mobile device, this is rare to happen - only when GPS is not active).

-Moshe;

PS: dogs just love this service....During the years  had a dog he  loved it...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

That's fine, if the IP address or their location setting is off, I realize there is not much I can do about it.

But in this case, if they are in Irvine, CA (a targeted area), and type 'Dog Groomer in Buffalo NY', even though my targeted location is nowhere near Buffalo.  It's only coming up because they are searching inside my targeted area or their location is set for that area.  If possible, I would like the ad to not appear.  Especially since the Google search recognized it's for a particular location.

The only thing I can think of is make the words negative keywords (Vegas, Iowa, NY, etc.), but I'd like to think there is a better way since I would have to wait until someone searched for a particular location.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Correct;
We have encountered the same this with a hotel owner in LA. There is no solution to that. I would not advise to add negative KWs.
I assume that Google sees that kind of searches a small and negligible volume. If you added locations as KWs, there would be so many locations to add, that the amount of work does not justify that. ( My opinion)
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Didn't notice you replied, sorry about that.

Yeah, I don't want to do that either.  Particularly since it's reactive instead of proactive.  Not to mention there is no way to catch everything.  But I'm seeing this happen with more than 10% of my clicks.  At $2 to $4 a click, it starts to add up.  Not to mention a tad annoying.

I don't know, I would hope at some point Google might implement a fix for it, but we'll see.