AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Ad Variations

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Will Google Ads choose which ad variation fits the search query/keyword best? I have a few keywords that are similar enough to stay in the same ad group, but different enough that I want to write ads specific to those terms. Will Google Ads automatically match keywords to the most relevant ads? 

Example 

Ad Group is Induction Hardening

Most keywords all contain the phrase "induction hardening", but there are just a few referring to "case hardening". If I write an ad or two with the words "case hardening" (all other ad variations in this ad group refer to "induction hardening") will those match to the three of our "case hardening" keywords when people search for "case hardening"?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Danielle K
1w

Ad Variations

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Danielle,

This feels like an ad group question overall. I would recommend creating ad groups based on themes.

Just to start, I'm not familiar with your industry so I don't know how different "induction hardening" is from "case hardening." That being said, if they are different enough to warrant writing a different type of ad, I would put those keywords in a separate ad group so that "induction hardening" ads never show with "case hardening" keywords.

Which ad gets picked is all based on Google's machine learning, so Google does their best to serve the most relevant ad with the most relevant search query. If those two keywords are in the same ad group however there is no guarantee that the right ad will match up with the right keyword.

The only way to be certain the right ad will match up with the right keyword is to put them in separate ad groups.

I hope that helps!

Patrick

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Danielle K
1w

Ad Variations

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Danielle,

This feels like an ad group question overall. I would recommend creating ad groups based on themes.

Just to start, I'm not familiar with your industry so I don't know how different "induction hardening" is from "case hardening." That being said, if they are different enough to warrant writing a different type of ad, I would put those keywords in a separate ad group so that "induction hardening" ads never show with "case hardening" keywords.

Which ad gets picked is all based on Google's machine learning, so Google does their best to serve the most relevant ad with the most relevant search query. If those two keywords are in the same ad group however there is no guarantee that the right ad will match up with the right keyword.

The only way to be certain the right ad will match up with the right keyword is to put them in separate ad groups.

I hope that helps!

Patrick

Re: Ad Variations

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

The theme of the keywords play a role in the ad quality (the real-time QS calculated every time an ad is eligible to enter an auction)

so the ads themselves should be tightly themed with the keywords.

Remember the recommendation is 3-5 ads per ad group. (So the system can pick the one with the highest ad quality and submit it to auction to compete with other advertisers)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’