AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Rotation is set to optimize for clicks, but I see higher CTR ads getting far fewer impressions!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey all! First post. Smiley Happy

I've got a client whose ad rotation is set to optimize for clicks. However, he's got a particular ad group that has two different ads. They're both enabled and approved. Both ads have been running the entire duration of time this data was collected–I double-checked. Can anyone help me understand these numbers? Thank you!

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 12.24.01 PM.png

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip S
June

Ad Rotation is set to optimize for clicks, but I see higher CTR ads getting far fewer impressions!

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Philip S,

Welcome to the community!

Ad rotation comes in to the picture only when there's more than one ad. Going by this data, second ad has been getting more clicks. 'Optimize for clicks' shows ads with more clicks over lesser ones in the ad group. More info on ad rotation here.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Philip S
June

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Philip S,

Welcome to the community!

Ad rotation comes in to the picture only when there's more than one ad. Going by this data, second ad has been getting more clicks. 'Optimize for clicks' shows ads with more clicks over lesser ones in the ad group. More info on ad rotation here.

Feel free to write back!

Sumanth Sridhar

Re: Ad Rotation is set to optimize for clicks, but I see higher CTR ads getting far fewer impression

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply, Sumanth! From that link you sent, I found a relevant paragraph:

Keep in mind: The ad with the highest CTR may not always be the one expected to get the most clicks. That’s because the number of clicks an ad is expected to get is also affected by how often an ad is eligible to enter an auction. Expected CTR is only one factor of Ad Rank, which also considers landing page experience and ad relevance (among other factors) when determining your ad’s position and whether it will show at all. So a more relevant ad with a better landing page experience but a lower expected CTR could be eligible to show on search results more often. That can, in turn, lead to a higher overall number of expected clicks.

Now to do the investigative work of why one ad seemed better than the other when they're both going to the same landing page!

Thanks again,

Philip