1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Relevance VS Expected CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, here I'm curious. How do you - in simple words - explain the difference between "Ad Relevance" and "Expected CTR"? Sub-question being to understand how one can have very high "Ad Relevance" while having relatively low "Expected CTR". Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

CTR is the marriage between your keywords and ad copy.  However, when Google is looking at the big picture they are looking at your keywords, ad copy AND landing page.  If they think your ad relevance is high then my thought would be that you might need to have a look at your keywords and see if they are relevant.

Would it be possible for you to give us an example of what one of your adgroups with that low expected CTR looks like?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Kim, hi. Thanks for taking the time to answer. If you want to, you can look at actual numbers at here. It's a screenshot from Optmyzr for such an account with "low" Expected CTR while having "high" Ad Relevance.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Adrien O

This could happen. While the CTR looks at the likelihood of a keyword to trigger an ad,  followed by a click,  the ad relevance looks at the  ad-copy and its relevance to both the landing page and the keywords you are using.

CTR is a metric of  numbers (an algebraic ratio).  Ad relevance is a metric of content.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Moshe, hi. Thanks for taking the time to answer. Here, in this case, what is it that you would do to improve "Expected CTR"? I mean. When "Ad Relevance" is low, I improve it by writing better ads (and better segmenting keywords (so ads match keywords intents)). But, here, when "Expected CTR" is the lowest component of QS, I'm not sure about needs to be done. Kim, Moshe, any take on this?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Adrien O;

I agree. Improving CTR (especially in a very competitive verticals like travel / financial) is hard.  

Have you tested  structuring ad-groups by match types? Are you using "classic" broad match KWs? (Broad match is a major parameter reducing CTR. I would avoid unless the traffic coming using broad match KWs is converting well )

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’