4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Positions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want suggestion regarding ads position column which is display in the report. What does it Mean?

Currently My Avg. Ads Postion is display 3.2, what it describe?Will it Improved if I increased my Bid?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Ad Positions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a weighted average. So let's say your campaign has 100 impressions. Let's say those impressions break down by ad position as such:

Formula: impressions x ad position

10 impressions x position 1 = 10

30 impression x position 2 = 60

30 impressions x position 3 = 90

10 impressions x position 4 = 40

20 impressions x position 6 = 120

Those totals equal 320. Now you divide the total by the number of impressions to receive your average position: 320/100 = 3.2

View solution in original post

Ad Positions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. It's telling you the average position your ads show up in the results in when they are shown. As an example, sometimes they may show up 3 and other times they show up in 4, but the average position of all of your impressions come to 3.2.

Looking at the keyword level for ad position is the most granular way to determine the average position. Well, actually that would be the ad level, then segmented by keyword.

Regardless, yes, raising your bids would likely increase your average position. If you have lower quality scores, raising could also lead to an increased position, as well as instituting ad extensions if you aren't currently doing so.

Ad Positions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

First of all thank David for your reply

But sorry to say I have a doubt, you say 

It's telling you the average position your ads show up in the results in when they are shown. As an example, sometimes they may show up 3 and other times they show up in 4, but the average position of all of your impressions come to 3.2.

If it is true then how average of 3 and 4 comes 3.2

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
December 2016

Ad Positions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

It's a weighted average. So let's say your campaign has 100 impressions. Let's say those impressions break down by ad position as such:

Formula: impressions x ad position

10 impressions x position 1 = 10

30 impression x position 2 = 60

30 impressions x position 3 = 90

10 impressions x position 4 = 40

20 impressions x position 6 = 120

Those totals equal 320. Now you divide the total by the number of impressions to receive your average position: 320/100 = 3.2

Ad Positions

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @Sachin W

As an addition to @David G excellent explanation, perhaps a nice way to test higher bids is by experiments / drafts. This will give you an idea of what is likely to happen should you raise your bids in regards to average position. I would recommend using this but also ensure you have a good sample size and conditions before drawing conclusions. 

Here is the link explaining this some more

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6318732?hl=en-GB

Good luck

James 

Ad Positions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @David G 

Thanks for sharing the tip, I have a question how much should I bid to get position 1? how to calculate it?

Thanks

Ad Positions

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Qun L

My honest best advice is to use experiments (drafts) here instead of raising the bids manuyally to see when you get to number 1. You may be able to manually forecast an estimate of what you think you may need to bid but experiments can do this efectively and you will see real data.

Best of luck

Ad Positions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @James Edw Goode  

My situation is like this

Display Impr. share   -  13.23%

Display Lost IS(rank) - 71.81%

Display Lost IS(budget) - 14.96%

I want to know about how much should i increase on bids?

Thanks you

Ad Positions

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Qun L

From this data it is still not possible for me to recommend an amount I am sad to declare.  

Also, this is display data? I believe we were referring to the search network in the original topic?

If you want to improve position on search network, you can do so by either raising bids and or focusing on the components of Quality Score. Even by using impression share metrics however it is still not accurate to predict an amount you would need to achieve position 1. For example, I do not know how many players are in your particular auctions or auction data. Competitors ad ranks may be extremely high and thus you can only ever really know through trial and error, which is why i recommended experiments / drafts for you to get a gauge and feeling for the bids needed for position 1. I may also recommend if you think it is suitable for a flexible bidding strategy position based where you aim for the top of page and see if this works for your ads. These can be really powerful and could be worth testing. I still would positively recommend an experiment / draft and trial some bids and see what happens on your position in accordance. 

Here is the link for more information on flexible bidding

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2979071?hl=en-GB

Good luck

James

Ad Positions

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I agree with James. The only thing I would add is if you don't want to use the experiments feature to gauge it, then you can add the "Est. First Position Bid" column at the keyword level to see what Google is suggesting. It's not always correct, but can be a guide.

It's found by clicking Columns > Attributes > Est. first position bid