AdWords
6.2K members online now
6.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Extensions - Product Extensions or Sitelink Extensions?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We are running a number of campaigns for a tangible product.

My question is, have people out there had more success on conversions with sitelink extensions or product extensions, or can you run both alongside each other?

Any advice or feednack anyone can offer would be really useful.

Duncan

3 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Ad Extensions - Product Extensions or Sitelink Extensions?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Duncan,

I would say it really depends on the nature of your business with regards to which extension can generate more / better success. Product extensions are ideal for an ecommerce website for example where there is a database of products available to the public whereas sitelink extensions might be used for a website offering services giving potential customers the opportunity to navigate directly to portfolios, contact pages, etc.

The two different extensions can't run at the same time but I believe if you have them both activated then Google will select the most suitable extension for the search being made at that particular time, I would wait for someone else in the community to verify that though as I may be wrong...

Either way there is evidence out there that advertisers have seen increased CTR averages and conversion rates from using the extensions as opposed to regular ads.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Duncan,

If you are thinking of both, I'd suggest you start with sitelinks.

The only reason is that it is easier to implement as compared to Product extensions.

Performance wise, I agree with Scott... both have their advantages... 

A few blogs that will give you a better understanding:

http://searchengineland.com/how-to-when-to-use-product-and-sitelink-ad-extensions-68839

http://www.epiphanysearch.co.uk/blog/ppc-ad-extensions-when-to-use-them/

http://www.digett.com/blog/09/26/2011/adwords-ad-extensions-part-ii-sitelinks-extensions-product-ext...

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the Advice 

I have started with the site links that take good 'real estate' in the adwords area. I think on some campaigns i need to re jig if i am going to use product extensions to make sure relevant products are displayed for the campaign.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hi Mungo2007, 

There's some great advice here from the Community and it's true that sitelinks and product extensions cannot show at the same time. 

If you're focussing on sitelinks for the moment, something you might want to think about a little later is product listing ads. If you already have a Merchant Centre account these are a new type of ad that you can create to boost your account. Product listing ads are different to text ads and show a picture of your product from the merchant centre when people type into Google keywords associate with that product. 

This previous thread here, has some tips of product listing ads for you if you're interested in this. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Alys wrote:

Hi Mungo2007, 

There's some great advice here from the Community and it's true that sitelinks and product extensions cannot show at the same time. 

Thank you for clarifying that Alys.

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I have a question for Product Listing Ads.

My Client is a Marble Dealer. He Sells Marbletops and Slabs.

Now can I create a Product Listing Ad with the price/meter. But when the user would land on the landing page. He would not be able to buy it. He has to fill an Enquiry Form. There are different kinds of Marble colors.

Looking forward for your views.

Thanks,

Chetan.