Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad Extension Data Segmentation: "This Extension vs. Other" and "Click Type"

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to understand the performance of all of my sitelinks and see that there's two segments available for this under Ad Extension tab: "This Extension vs. Other" and "Click Type."

I'd like to know what the difference between these two segmentation is? It seems like they're both segmenting out sitelink performance directly (for example, how many users clicked directly on the sitelinks).

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

There's no difference if the only clickable extension you are using is sitelinks. 

They do offer a difference when used for reporting on other extensions, or when you have multiple clickable extensions.

Re: Ad Extension Data Segmentation:

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the reply Rob.

If there's no difference, then the Sitelink data between the two Segments
should be the same. For example, in This vs. Other Extension, the Sitelink
metrics should be identical to the Sitelink data in Click Type.

However, this isn't the case, which is why I raised this question... I
thought they're supposed to be the same since This Extension vs Other
compares the Sitelink performance against other extensions (and the ad copy
itself); whereas, Click Type only compares the Sitelink performance against
the ad copy itself (headline), and not other extensions?

--

Peter

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Perhaps you have other clickable extensions running? Even if you didn't make them , Google can make them for you without you realising it...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Could be dynamic Sitelink I'm guessing. I do have phone extension, do you know if that counts as clickable?

So theoretically, if I only had Sitelink running, then the sitelink data for This vs. Other and Click Type would be identical?

So... Click Type is comparing Headline click vs Sitelink click while This vs. Others compares Sitelink clicks vs. All Other Clickable Links (extension + headline)?

Last, what segment should I use if I'd like to compare the performance of just my Sitelink?

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

Yes, call extensions are clickable. Also, price extensions.

I regard sitelinks as extra ad copy. They typically get so few clicks that their performance isn't worth looking into. And Google will automatically show the sitelinks that are performing the best.

You are already seeing all the data there is for sitelinks. The other option is Google Analytics, they added a Sitelinks report not too long ago, under AdWords.