AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Accounts mysteriously removed from automated rules?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm setting up Automated rules for multiple accounts in specific groupings, i.e. I'll have 20 accounts that follow these three rules, another 30 that follow these other three rules, etc.  The problem I'm having is that as I create a new rule for a group of accounts, and add them into that rule, they are sometimes mysteriously being removed from previous rules I created for them.  It's almost like adding them to the new rule removed them from the old one, but it doesn't happen every time and it doesn't happen for all accounts when it does occur.  I've even had it happen to completely different accounts that weren't being added to a new rule.  It's very confusing, and wasting large amounts of my time, as I have to go back and re-add them to the rule yet again.

The rules are set to run at different times, but they do effect the same thing (daily budget).  Is there a way I can prevent this?  Or can I at least know what the heck is happening...? 

Thanks for any help any of you can provide!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Stephanie, 

I would first check to see if any of your 3 rules conflict with one another. This could cause potential issues with implimentation. AdWords says the following: 

" What happens if you have two rules that affect the same items scheduled to run at the same time? Rules don't have a way to prioritize themselves, so even when you have two rules set to make concurrent changes to the same entities, both rules will run and make the specified changes to all entities. We recommend that you don't schedule multiple rules at the same time if they affect the same set of data. Instead, if you'd like to have two or more rules that make changes to the same part of your campaign, we suggest that you choose different times of the day for the rules to run. If there are multiple rules on the same entities that are scheduled at the same time, our system will do its best to run them all, but there could be some errors resulting from trying to make conflicting changes at the same time. Setting different times for your rules not only helps avoid these errors, but it also serves as a way for you to prioritize your rules, so that the one scheduled earliest runs first."

Source: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2472779?hl=en 

I'm not sure though if this would necessarily explain the disappearing rules ... 

Let me know how it goes. 

- Josh

Joshua, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Josh!

Actually looks like it was just a display error of come sort, I suppose, though it has happened multiple times so maybe it is not an error and instead a processing delay from trying to take too many actions on the same accounts within a limited time frame.  Long story short, when I looked at the rules again a couple hours later, all the accounts were present in each rule.  So next time it happens, I'll just be patient and wait for the system to catch up!

Thanks again!