Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Account Structure

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

Does anyone have a case study on best practice for account structure i.e. 1 keyword per adgroup vs 8 keywords per adgroup? What are the positive implications vs disadvantages?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Account Structure

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Friedl,

There's not a cake receipt like for that kind of information. The idea behind adGroups is that they should consider a link between keywords & ad content & landing page. By that I mean that you should create adGroups about specific subjects, so that your ads can also talk about that subject, and you would want to send the user to a page about that subject.

There's no minimum amount of keywords, but you should definitely cover a few variations and similar keywords inside that group. Avoid keeping only one keyword, since you might leave something behind.

A lot of people don't pay attention to account structure, which for me is one of most important aspects. If you sell a lot of shoes with different colors, you DON'T WANT to put every keyword for every color inside just one Group. You should create a specific Group for each shoe color, that way you can write a "Buy your red shoe here" for people looking for "red shoes", and so on.

A few things to consider:

Keyword Match Types and how to give more controle over how your keywords are triggered:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Negative keywords, to filter unwanted searchs to trigger your ads. If you sell cars, I'd not want your ads to show for a search like "car accident", here is how:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes I agree, but some people say it' s best practice to have 1 keyword per adgroup. I think this is more messy in my opinion as managing the account can be a nightmare and alot of adgroups gets untruncated

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Friedl, personally I hear that a lot, but talking to some Google employees involved on some projects for the agency I work for, they never backed out that idea. There's no need to create a one-keyword per ad group, that's totally messy and time spender. You can have same results if you keep good and qualified groups, with quality keywords, in my opinion.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree! Great to be able to debate on matters like these. Thanks!