AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Account Structure

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi

Does anyone have a case study on best practice for account structure i.e. 1 keyword per adgroup vs 8 keywords per adgroup? What are the positive implications vs disadvantages?

Re: Account Structure

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Friedl,

There's not a cake receipt like for that kind of information. The idea behind adGroups is that they should consider a link between keywords & ad content & landing page. By that I mean that you should create adGroups about specific subjects, so that your ads can also talk about that subject, and you would want to send the user to a page about that subject.

There's no minimum amount of keywords, but you should definitely cover a few variations and similar keywords inside that group. Avoid keeping only one keyword, since you might leave something behind.

A lot of people don't pay attention to account structure, which for me is one of most important aspects. If you sell a lot of shoes with different colors, you DON'T WANT to put every keyword for every color inside just one Group. You should create a specific Group for each shoe color, that way you can write a "Buy your red shoe here" for people looking for "red shoes", and so on.

A few things to consider:

Keyword Match Types and how to give more controle over how your keywords are triggered:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497836?hl=en

Negative keywords, to filter unwanted searchs to trigger your ads. If you sell cars, I'd not want your ads to show for a search like "car accident", here is how:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453972?hl=en

Hope it helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Yes I agree, but some people say it' s best practice to have 1 keyword per adgroup. I think this is more messy in my opinion as managing the account can be a nightmare and alot of adgroups gets untruncated

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Friedl, personally I hear that a lot, but talking to some Google employees involved on some projects for the agency I work for, they never backed out that idea. There's no need to create a one-keyword per ad group, that's totally messy and time spender. You can have same results if you keep good and qualified groups, with quality keywords, in my opinion.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I agree! Great to be able to debate on matters like these. Thanks!