3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Account Structure: Organizing by Keyword Match Type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Are the following two match type structures the same?  

1. Campaign 1: Including Broad/BMM, Phrase, & Exact Match keywords within the same Adgroup while bidding highest for Exact, less for Phrase, and even less for Broad/BMM. 

2. Campaign 1: Broad/BMM Adgroup, Phrase Adgroup, Exact Adgroup while excluding each of the correspending match types as negative keywords. (ie. Broad/BMM Adgroup w/ Phrase & Exact negative keywords).   

*Bids are $5 for Exact, $4 for Phrase, $3 for BMM and $2 for Broad (depending on which you choose "broad" vs "bmm").

*For example purposes, let's assume each match type has considerable local monthly search volume.

*Also assuming that conversion is best for Exact, less for Phrase, and worst for Broad/BMM. 

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks! 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Account Structure: Organizing by Keyword Match Type

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

I could be wrong but they both appear to have the same result.

"*Also assuming that conversion is best for Exact, less for Phrase, and worst for Broad/BMM"

One issue that I see is that I believe that you can NOT assume is that your "Exact Match" will necessarily be your best performing. Maybe utlimately for conversions, but I think you'll spend abit on broad and BBM without conversions.

Of Course, this is my opinion....I could be wrong.

RPquest

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Brian_B,

Welcome to the Community!

IMO, I would say that the two examples you have listed are NOT the same.  Why? With separate ad groups for each match type (#2), hypothetically speaking you can have more refined ads and landing pages which should lead to better relevancy and better user experience.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Brian_B,

Since you have 2 different answers, one yes and one no, I thought I'd chip in here. I would agree with Tom on this. They are not the same. This depends a bit on how tightly focused keywords are in your adGroups. If all three match types are targeting the same audience and keywords, and you have a very limited number of keywords in the AdGroup (by that I mean the one same keyword in three match types (I tend to omit broad and only use BMM) and no others, placing together in one AdGroup could be a good idea.  It does make it a bit easier to compare results between the match types.

On the other hand, if you have a number of keywords in the AdGroup unrelated to the phrase and exact match groups, it would probably be better to spit the more exact match types into separate AdGroups.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Guys! 

Tom, 

I'd agree that are are a different ways to approach match type organization. I work in the education vertical and it can get pretty difficult to figure out how to 1. organize your keywords by adgroup and 2. how to organize by match type because there are so many variations and permuations of a single keyword set that can be used. Also, since volume varies w/ all these variations, it gets hard to decide whether to just include them all in one Adgroup or separate them out, and then of course, by match type and specific ad copy. 

I didn't mention match type on a campaign level, I may try that too.

Thanks again! 

Brian 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Guys,

I guess when I was looking at the scenarios, I was approaching it as a mathematical equation where I should have been thinking with my adwords cap on. ;o)

Brian, Tom & Pete are correct that you would be better able to gear your ads in the 2nd example.

I apologize as there was never any ill intent.

Tom & Pete, thanks for putting is straight.

RPquest