AdWords
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Accelerated Budget - Is it truly unrestricted?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

If the accelerated budget setting is in place, do Google still restrict service of Ads if they think the budget could be exceeded. Or is it truly accelerated i.e. Ads continue to serve unrestricted until the point at which you hit your daily budget?

The reason I ask - I have a bunch of Campaigns on Accelerated Daily budgets of £50 - they never reach the £50 mark in any day, but some get close. If I knew that Google was restricting the Ad's service because they thought the budgets may be exceeded (in a similar way to 'Standard:show ads evenly over time' but less extreme) then I'd happily increase the budgets.

Any guidance on this, much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Accelerated Budget - Is it truly unrestricted?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi stwilsons, interesting question.

I would guess that it's a bit like the old question of the jumping frog...  Do you know it?  A frog jumps towards a point 10 metres from where he starts but each jump is half the distance of the previous one; does the frog ever reach the target?

I can imagine that if you or I were attempting to manage this manually we'd probably do something similar, when we had spent about £30 we might start to throttle back on showing Ads and would do so more severely as the spend got closer and closer to the budget.

When you say the £50 mark is never reached, by how much?  Is it £49.50 or £35?

Out of interest, why are you using Accelerated Delivery.  I have to be honest and say in many years of supporting AdWords I've seen few situations where this method was the most cost-effective.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks Jon

Some of the Campaigns regularly get to the £30 mark or so.

I'm using accelerated delivery to ensure that whenever someone is searching for any of my products my Ads are eligible for the auction because I know they convert at a profitable rate.

Budget is not an issue as long as I hit CPA targets, which is always the case - this is why I would be happy to increase budgets further if there is any kind of restriction at play within the 'accelerated' option

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi stwilsons, you've answered my "hidden" question Smiley Happy  My primary problem with Accelerated Delivery per se is that if an AdWords Account is making a net profit then there should be no limit to the budget being spent, or rather the only limits should be the available impressions and/or any physical limitations of shipping, etc.  If the budget is unlimited you don't need the Accelerated option because the "standard" option will be showing the Ad for every possible impression anyway.

The danger of using Accelerated Delivery is that unless you perform a lot of experiments you don't know whether you're missing even better sales.  Let's say you advertise on a schedule from 8am to 6pm.  Your Accelerated Delivery means that your budget runs out around midday and you have an average conversion rate of 3%.  This may seem fine and return a net profit, but you don't know that from 2pm to 5pm your conversion rate could actually be 5%.

Personally I'd always recommend using Standard delivery for this reason if no other - at least in the early stages of testing.  I really do struggle to think of any situation under which I'd use Accelerated; there are scenarios but they almost always require a poorly managed Account (or objective) to make Accelerated the right choice.

In your case if you're seeing a net profit then I'd switch to Standard and ramp that budget up!  However, I would suggest a slow increase and that you monitor times and conversion rates to make sure you make the best of the day.

Jon

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
As long as the budget does not deplete (which mine never does) accelerated allows one to be eligible for more auctions than standard.

Standard will try and spread your budget through the day - meaning you might not be eligible for every auction - whereas Accelerated should (and here lies my question) allow you to be eligible for every auction until your budget is depleted.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

"As long as the budget does not deplete (which mine never does) accelerated allows one to be eligible for more auctions than standard."

Well, only if the comparable Standard Campaign runs for a longer period than the Accelerated one.  If you have an unlimited budget then Standard will show your Ad as often as possible, just as Accelerated would.  Standard only restricts impressions where there are more potential impressions than the daily budget can afford; if the budget is sufficient Standard will delivery Ads just as frequently as Accelerated.

This is my point.  If AdWords is making you a profit you should be spending as much as you is possible and in that situation it doesn't matter if you use Standard or Accelerated as your Ads will be shown for each possible impression in both cases.  If AdWords is not making a profit you either shouldn't be advertising (unless this is a test Campaign or tuning period) or you're running a brand awareness loss-leader in either of which cases Standard delivery is the better option since for tuning it allows you to examine data across the entire schedule and for brand awareness it ensures you reach all demographics that may be reading the web at different time periods.

J

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

I think the quality score should be an issue here also, if the QS is less than 10/10 ( by the way has anyone seen an 8 or 9 out of 10 ?? I have only seen 10 or 7 ) , the Ads will be less "relevant" to the users and no matter what your budget is, they will not be displayed all the time.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

For Adrian:

A friend of mine has two with QS eight :

qs8.jpg

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
One very good reason for using Accelerated Delivery is that if a lot of your sales happen over a series of queries carried out in a short period of time (e.g. impulse buyers who do a bit of searching, hone in on what they want and buy it e.g. evening shoes -> red evening shoes -> red gucci stilettos) then you could have your ad shown for the first, maybe even the second and then miss out on the third query (which was when the buyer bought)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks J

I'm pretty sure that 'Standard Delivery' will try to allow your budget to spread across the period of time you are targeting - ie if there was a sudden rush/surge in traffic Adwords would restrict the service of your Ads to ensure the budget lasts all day'

In this same scenario Accelerated budget should allow your Ads to be eligible for every auction until your budget has been consumed.