AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AW Labels with Filters as (possibly) Rules?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I've been implementing the AW labels feature and thought it might be worth sharing some thoughts on how it could be better utilised.

I like the idea that you can label things at all levels (campaign, ad groups, ads, keywords) and then get an overview of those labels from the labels tab/table. So in the sense of improved organisation of campaigns this works well.

However, I've been using the labels with the filters e.g. labels with and filtering data by

• "Low QS" (QS <= 3)
  • "Mid QS (QS range 4-6)
  • "High QS (QS => 7)

and for visibility on CPA and Conversions vs. Spend e.g.

• "\/ CPA" (below target CPA)
  • "/\ CPA" (above target CPA)
  • "$ NO Conv." (spend reached max CPA but no conversions)

While it's good we can label at a snapshot in time - it would be very useful if these labels could act as, for example, rules using the filters i.e. if I change the date period the labels would also update based on the filter. Perhaps this could be something worth looking into? Maybe others have thoughts on this? Could anyone else see the potential benefits of this type of feature for enhanced labels?

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: AW Labels with Filters as (possibly) Rules?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This is interesting. As for now, I haven't yet fully implemented. But I'm thinking I could use it to split test ads across multiple campaigns, even though there are some ad groups with low volume. I would do this by using the labels to tag the old and new ones, and then export and sum up all of the data. This would make testing way way faster and easier.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Amanti- welcome to our community;

I Think that the initial idea was just adding some colors to get a better  "at one glance"  look on the UI (similar to labels marking in Gmail) .... However, your idea is interesting....

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

This is interesting. As for now, I haven't yet fully implemented. But I'm thinking I could use it to split test ads across multiple campaigns, even though there are some ad groups with low volume. I would do this by using the labels to tag the old and new ones, and then export and sum up all of the data. This would make testing way way faster and easier.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Amanti- welcome to our community;

I Think that the initial idea was just adding some colors to get a better  "at one glance"  look on the UI (similar to labels marking in Gmail) .... However, your idea is interesting....

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David, thanks for the feedback. Using labels to split test ads across multiple campaigns doesn't sound like a bad idea too. I can see how this could help with testing/experiments. As you've also indicated there could be a number of ways labels could be used to better manage and optimise campaigns. Perhaps (and hopefully) the AdWords team will look into these...

Just in the way of testing ad copy. You might find this helpful:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/7174

How to use:

1. Feed it with ad performance report (create one in Client Reporting, select Ad Performance in report type dropdown menu. You will also need to customise columns to include click and conversion data)
  2. Load the data into appropriate columns in the Ad Report sheet
  3. Go to the first sheet (Summary) and fill the phrases you want to evaluate.

In order to get correct results you have to make sure the data you use is suitable for evaluation. E.g.

1. Is the conversion rate higher because the included phrase? Isn’t it because different landing page, more relevant keywords, etc?
  2. Haven’t there been improvements in the campaign structure, landing pages, etc. during the selected timeframe? 
  3. To get really trustworthy results I think it’s better to evaluate whole phrases (ad lines) not just words.

On that last point, I’m sure there’s various schools of thought around testing ad copy, but I think if variations of your ads are only interchanging between headlines, des 1, des 2, display URL (“ad copy variation control”) then a tool like this is useful.

As a general rule of thumb, each ad group should be loaded with at least [3] ad varations – one of those being dynamic. Then, when using a tool like this, you can determine how well your dynamic ad(s) stack up against your static.

One last thing around getting best results using this, if your account strucutre is highly fragmented – whereby campaigns are almost exclusively independent from others, populate data at highest the campaign level.

Hope it comes useful at some point.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Moshe, I agree, I think there's potential here for a more say - "enhanced" version of labels in the near future. Just as you pointed out in the Gmail version, utilising it this way to point/highlight more meaningful data/information would help with more intelligent reporting and improved optimisation.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
@amanti - I've actually built reports like that. My problem has been that I don't always have the same phrases across all my campaigns, so it would be skewed.

E.g. I didn't have the phrase tested in the brand campaign, the non-brand ad phrases, even though they are worse overall, still look better.

I believe the ad labels should resolve that in a simpler way. You can tag them your own way, filter out the campaigns you built them in, and test against overall account performance. Voila!!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nice! Another useful way to use AW labels +1!