AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AR & EN Ads are showing for one AR keywords targeting UAE?!?! HELP!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ok i have the following setup.

Market: UAE

Campaigns: English and Arabic

Ads: English and Arabic

Language Selected: Arabic and English for both.

Issue: My Arabic Brand Keywords are showing My English Ads.

As i type in Arabicو for example: ADIDAS but with arabic letters أديداس.. My English Ads Show as i have the same keyword (ADIDAS in English Letters) in the English Campaign.. Google feature might be the problem as you type in Arabic and it suggests English ones.

How to prevent it? Is it because I'm targeting both Languages for the same country in both Campaigns?

Please help..

Arabic users when they search in Arabic Brand Name they expect Arabic Ads not English.. I dont have control on this..

My CTR is dropping.. Please HELP!

Thanks

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AR & EG Ads are showing for one AR keywords targeting UAE?!?!

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Rayan,

Issue: My Arabic Brand Keywords are showing My English Ads

If you have a campaign for each target language how about using your Arabic brand terms as negatives in the English campaign? This should stop the wrong campaign showing the wrong ads.

You can add campaign level negatives quite easily. If you are on your keywords tab in your English campaign, scroll to the bottom and you'll see  + Negative keywords. Click on this and you are able to add them in.

You can read up on adding negative keywords here

Let me know if you have any other questions, happy to help.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the reply!

The thing is, if my structure is as the following:

Campaign 1: English

Ad group English

Keywords English

Ad Copies English 

Campaign 1: Arabic

Ad group Arabic

Keywords Arabic

Ad Copies Arabic

Why my English Ads are showing for Arabic Keywords, i just pulled a Search Term Report and there were ALOT of Arabic Term (Not Only branded ones) triggering my English Campaigns targeting the Same Country!

Do you have an answer to that?

Thanks! 

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi,

You have 2 campaigns, one for Arabic and one for English but you are targeting both languages in both campaigns.

Language Selected: Arabic and English for both

Have you tried setting the English campaign to target English and the same for the Arabic campaign instead of both?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Nop, i have not yet.. Is this is recommended by Google?

My other concern is, in my current setup( Both Campaigns targeting both Languages)

If some one searches for, lets say, adidas in Arabic which is أديداس

Will Google Auto translate that to ADIDAS in English then match that to one of the English Ads? <- Google does that for each search query. Example, type مانجو which pronounced (and) means Mango. Look at the top results.. they all have MANGO in English for English websites too.<- Smart Translation from Google. The same is happening i guess for the brand terms just like the adidas example..

Could this be the reason its triggering my English Ads for Arabic KW?\

I hope you got my point... Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello there;

This is an interesting question;..

I guess that you mainly refer to brand names (e.g Adidas). What I have noticed is that although AdWords does NOT (and should not...) translate keywords; when it comes to brand names, Adwords adds the English word as a synonym to the local language. For example; the Arabic for Coke (كوكا كولا) could have "Coca cola" (in English) as a synonym of the Arabic version, The same applies to many other well-known brands;

The solution is to use the Broad Match Modifier (BMM) for brand name keywords. This way synonyms will not match the search query.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

...The solution is to use the Broad Match Modifier (BMM) for brand name keywords. This way synonyms will not match the search query.

With BBM, google will not have my Arabic Brand Names, in your example( كوكا كولا) as an English Synonym (Coca Cola), hence, my Arabic Keywords will not trigger my English Ads?

Thanks,

Rayan

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

As a best practice structure your campaigns based on language. Since language can only be controlled at the campaign level then start there.

Google translates nothing and, to an extent makes no jugement as to which ad should be served depending upon language. If you have English and Arabic keywords in an ad group then ads could be triggered for any of them and if there are English and Arabic ads, Google will just pick one!

Thus you need to segment keywords and ads by language - hence at the campaign level.

The important thing to realise is that Google determines the language of the user by the browser preferences. Thus an Arabic user, whose browser preferences are set to Arabic will be in the Arabic segment as far as Google is concerned.

This user will then only be able to trigger ads if they use keywords in the Arabic segment. and they will only be able to see the Arabic ads. Presumably you will only put Arabic ads in the Arabic campaigns.

But - and here's the key.... you can still put Adidas (in English) in the Arabic campaign... it will still only be able to be triggered by Arabic users and this means that they will then see the ads in Arabic.

Think of them as silos (buckets) with no crossover - all based on the user's language preference.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Well...Rarely to happen,Smiley Surprised but I disagree with Steve about some of his remarks (not all) ; or I misunderstood...Smiley Frustrated

There are many factors Google uses to determine the user language (as said, the browser interface, the Google domain...in some languages only the search query determines the language)

• >>>"Thus you need to segment keywords and ads by language - hence at the campaign level."

You can target  a few languages in  the same campaign separating the languages into different ads groups. (I live in a multi-language country and frequently target Arabic, Hebrew English Russian and French speakers).

• >>>English and Arabic keywords in an ad group then ads could be triggered for any of them and if there are English and Arabic ads, Google will just pick one! - I agree to this (in the same ad-group)

The issue boils down to: which keyword will match the search query; The only cases I have noticed that AdWords triggers the wrong ad have been in cases of brand-names or cases in which English words are commonly accepted / spoken  within the local language. (Though the latter mostly applies to scientific terms used globally within the scientific community). In general, Google is very careful not to "mix" words from different languages.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Steve,

But i have mentioned earlier, i dont mix my arabic and english kewords in one adgroup, nor one campaign, they dont even live in one campaign.

My English Campaigns has only English Adgroups with English Keywords and only English Ad copies + English Landing Pages (Content in English, URL differs than the Arabic one)

And 

My Arabic Campaigns has only Arabic Adgroups with Arabic Keywords and only Arabic Ad copies + Arabic Landing Pages (Content in Arabic, URL differs than the English one)

YET...

I still can see Arabic Keywords like (كوكا كولا) which is Coca Cola in Arabic letters, triggers my English Ads which has Coca Cola as a keyword and Found in the Ad Copy...

The issue goes for more than 400 Arabic keyword (Triggering my English Ads) and around 1400 impression with 20% avg CTR !!! in 5 different markets.

If what you were saying was the case, i would have seen Arabic Ads being triggered by English Keywords.. and that never happened..