AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

ACE Bidding and Landing page test

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi everybody,

I’m trying to set up my campaign experiments, but I’m getting a bit lost along the way and I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I want to set up two different tests:

1. Bidding (CPC/CPM)
For the bidding experiment I want to set up a 70%/30% test for manual CPC bidding and CPM bidding. However, the only way I can see how to do so is by copying all my Ad Groups and run the original ones with control and the other ones with experiment.  Is it possible to do this without copying my Ad Groups? And if not, if I set the original ad group on control and the other one at experiment will they be running at the same time? If so, wouldn’t they compete with each together?  

2. Landing page
I’ve seen it’s possible to use ACE to test landing pages, however I couldn’t find any explanation anywhere.  Currently I’m having 3 banners in one campaign and I would like to test those banners, but with a different landing page. I tried doing so by importing duplicated banners with the “experiment landing page”, however Google doesn’t allow duplicated banners.  

Does anyone know how to do this?  

Many thanks! Bram

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bram K
September 2015

Re: ACE Bidding and Landing page test

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

1) Yes, there is much easier one. Under the ad group tab make sure your ad group is selected as "control and experiment" then from the Segment menu, click Experiment to show the control and experiment details for the ad group. In the "Default Max CPC" column, click on the bid amount in the "Experiment" row for the ad group whose bid you want to modify.

Regarding the competition against each other. No, they are not competing each other, Only one enters the auction, Google randomly decides to make either your control or experimental split active for the auction (based on the percentage you set within experiment settings).

2) I don't fully understand this question, but I think you mean the Google analytics content experiment that used for testing landing pages not ACE. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745152?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Bram,

Switching between CPC & CPM: You wouldn't be able to do this, as the campaign setting decides your bidding method. If you've chose to bid per click (CPC), you can ignore the CPM field and enter the bid value for CPC, either in UI or Editor.

Duplicate Image Ad Error: I'v tried duplicating the image ad (screenshot attached) using both copy-paste and upload methods and noticed that it was successful. Could you try it once again and let me know if it's through?

Cheers,

Sumanth

Duplicate Image Ad.png

Sumanth Sridhar

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

1) Yes, there is much easier one. Under the ad group tab make sure your ad group is selected as "control and experiment" then from the Segment menu, click Experiment to show the control and experiment details for the ad group. In the "Default Max CPC" column, click on the bid amount in the "Experiment" row for the ad group whose bid you want to modify.

Regarding the competition against each other. No, they are not competing each other, Only one enters the auction, Google randomly decides to make either your control or experimental split active for the auction (based on the percentage you set within experiment settings).

2) I don't fully understand this question, but I think you mean the Google analytics content experiment that used for testing landing pages not ACE. https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745152?hl=en

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Hi Bram,

In addition to Ahmed's suggestion, I just wanted to point out about landing page test. There isn't a feature as such, but you can create identical ads within an ad group and with different landing pages and set the campaign to rotate evenly.
Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Ahmed and Sumanth,

Thanks for the quick reply!

1) Perfect, don't know how I've missed it before thanks! Just on quick follow up question, when I go to editor (because on the online interface I can't seem to change between CPC and CPM) but in the same screen they give the option for my default max. CPC bid and my Max. CPM bid. How do I know which they use? Because I can't leave my CPC bid empty.

2. Sumanthm that is exactly what I meant, but I already tried duplicating my banners with another landing page, however Google won't allow me to upload these banners (duplicate image error). Do you know if there is a way around it?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Rising Star
# 5
Rising Star

Hi Bram,

Switching between CPC & CPM: You wouldn't be able to do this, as the campaign setting decides your bidding method. If you've chose to bid per click (CPC), you can ignore the CPM field and enter the bid value for CPC, either in UI or Editor.

Duplicate Image Ad Error: I'v tried duplicating the image ad (screenshot attached) using both copy-paste and upload methods and noticed that it was successful. Could you try it once again and let me know if it's through?

Cheers,

Sumanth

Duplicate Image Ad.png

Sumanth Sridhar

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Sumanth,

CPC/CPM:
That's too bad, I was already afraid so, but I will just test with seperated campaigns.

Duplicate Image Ad error:
I've found out what went wrong. I was directly importing an entire campaign with a CSV, apperently Google doesn't allow it starting a new campaign with duplicate images. When I do it your way or just copy it in an already excisiting campaign it works fine!

Thank you very much!!

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star
Glad I could help Smiley Happy
Sumanth Sridhar