star_border

A unique Challenge - English keywords, Polish ad

Ted
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Ted
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

HI Everyone,

I hope that you might be able to help me out with what I currently think is a unique challenge, but will probably find that people have experienced before.

One of the target market for our products is Polish people living in the UK.
I am finding that those people will search in Google using English words even though they are Polish (we know this from asking our customers)

I would therefore like to use english keywords but have the majority of the Ad in Polish (along with a polish landing page)

The problem I foresee having is with the relevance score. 

Does anyone have any experience of this type of issue. Can anyone offer any guidence?

With thanks

James 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A unique Challenge - English keywords, Polish ad

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Ted,

Trust you doing great!

It is advisable by google adwords to use keywords and adcopies in same language.

As per my opinion, you can create two campaigns one completly in Polish and another campaign in English.

For English campaign, use landing page that has content in English and at the top of the page provide an option to translate page in to Polish.

For Polish Campaign, use landing page that has content in Polish and at the top of the page provide an option to translate in English.

Run your campaign for atleast 30 days to measure the what langauge works for you the best.

If you are not willing to prepare two seperate campaigns then u can add seperate adgroups for Polish & English Language in a single campaign.

P.S. - For Polish only Campaign select language settings as Polish & For English campaign select language as English.

& If your are running single campaign with both languages select both the language under settings tab.

Hope it Helps!

Thanks

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi James,

Just to add to NehaGupta's great answer, a very similar question was asked yesterday in the following thread -

http://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Keywords-in-English-Copy-text-in-Urdu-Help-...

There are a few different ideas there that you may find interesting.

Kind regards,

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi James,

I would therefore like to use english keywords but have the majority of the Ad in Polish (along with a polish landing page)

It is strongly recommended to write your ads in the language you set at the campaign level rather than mixing it up. You are yourself saying that as per your customers, they speak English and search in English, then why would you go with the different language?

In my opinion, its better to choose one language per campaign and then work accordingly. If you want to target Polish people, it would be better to target Polish language and ads written in Polish along with respective landing page so that personalization factor comes into play.

You can refer to this article for more details here.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

I think I might disagree a bit with everyine else here......

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

I think I might disagree a bit with everyone else here...

Targeting multiple languages in the same country is very interesting, and the one thing I have learned, is DO NOT ASSUME.

An "English" keyword, may not actually be an English term at all, it could very well be the international standard for that term, depending on the industry, etc. Assuming there is a direct Polish translation for the term, you should try using that translation in both an english and polish campaign, but you don't want to lose potential customers because of language settings regarding their browser. There are no easy answers, and you should try as many combinations as possible for your highest revenue generating keywords.

I do believe it is a mistake to get too concerned over "relavence" as Google determines it. It's your customers whose idea of what is relavent, you should be concerned with. Yes, lower QS may increase CPC prices, reduce rank, etc. But, if you are making more profit, even with a reduced QS, why not?

I'm not great with this kind of math, but you essentially have (what?), - [2 language targeting settings X 2 ad languages X (y keywords X 2 languages)] = a lot more math than I can do campaign/adgroup/keyword/ad combinations that can be experimented with. Of course, if you ONLY have English content, Polish ads and keywords will probably have very poor on-site engagement. If your content is ONLY in English, Polish speakers may not be very engaged after the click. So, why pay for those clicks that don't convert - how about for market research? If the Polish speaking audience is your most profitable target market, I would be more worried about investing in Polish site/pages, than worrying about "relavence" as Google determines it.

I am currently trying to figure out the English/Spanish dynamic within the US alone (not to mention the rest of the planet), between both adwords and adcenter for one of our clients. It seems like outside of the English language, the PPC audience is completely under served. If there is such a large Polish speaking audience, they may be searching in English not because they want to, but because they feel they have to, to see "relavent" search results. Targeting the English language, and English keywords, with Polish language ads, could be exceptionally effective (maybe not without any Polish content). The only way to know for sure, is to experiment, and find out.

My experinences on this front:

http://www.thomascreekconcepts.com/the-queens-speech-vs-colonial-dialects/

Tom