Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A separate campaign for misspellings?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm working in a strange little niche where misspelled keywords can indicate a totally separate segment of customer. A customer who needs to be served from a different set of landing pages, using different call to action etc.

My campaigns are currently set as "Include plurals, misspellings, and other close variants"

I'm aware there is an old discussion on misspellings but the thing I'm worried about is the actual process of transitioning between the current settings and separating the misspellings without losing conversions.

We're talking about 20 campaigns and more than 2000 keywords. The keywords are a mix of phrase match, exact match and modified broad match.

Thank you.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John R
September 2015

Re: A separate campaign for misspellings?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John, I think you're right to be cautious.  The key issue you face is that the "close variants" setting doesn't have any options - it's either on or off - so if you turn it off you'll lose all the variations, some of which you may not be aware of (or which could be difficult to track because of the numbers involved).

I think my approach would be to initially use a set of Keywords that you know are common misspellings (and useful to the Account), then apply these as negatives where necessary, and "positives" in their own, new, "non-close-variant" Campaign(s).  Negative Keywords only match against the term itself, not close variants, so using a specific misspelling as a negative should exclude that word, but allow the correctly spelled word to continue showing.  Doing this with a small sub-set of your existing Keywords might allow you to gauge the impact/importance of this process and decide whether to continue it.  If you do, at some point you could switch off close variants on the old Campaigns with less danger of lost traffic.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you everyone for the responses. @Cobnut, this is brilliant - exactly the solution I was looking for. How did I not think about it? Smiley Happy I'll use 20 of the most popular misspellings as negative keywords for the main campaign and create a new campaign with just the misspelling.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hmm... simple answer: this could be, but do you see any other option?

It's like setting a new campaign, while optimizing the current one. Assuming that the current campaigns perform well, this would give you some advantage when launching the new campaign,

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi john
Welcome to the community.

I guess creating campaigns with misspelled keywords is not a good option.
Are you aware of the misspellings? Then you can always create a separate adgroup keeping the misspelled keywords in exact match.

Do let me know your thoughts

Cheers
Aritra Mukherjee
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John R
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John, I think you're right to be cautious.  The key issue you face is that the "close variants" setting doesn't have any options - it's either on or off - so if you turn it off you'll lose all the variations, some of which you may not be aware of (or which could be difficult to track because of the numbers involved).

I think my approach would be to initially use a set of Keywords that you know are common misspellings (and useful to the Account), then apply these as negatives where necessary, and "positives" in their own, new, "non-close-variant" Campaign(s).  Negative Keywords only match against the term itself, not close variants, so using a specific misspelling as a negative should exclude that word, but allow the correctly spelled word to continue showing.  Doing this with a small sub-set of your existing Keywords might allow you to gauge the impact/importance of this process and decide whether to continue it.  If you do, at some point you could switch off close variants on the old Campaigns with less danger of lost traffic.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you everyone for the responses. @Cobnut, this is brilliant - exactly the solution I was looking for. How did I not think about it? Smiley Happy I'll use 20 of the most popular misspellings as negative keywords for the main campaign and create a new campaign with just the misspelling.