Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A little help?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Guys.

I have been running an account in a very competitive industry with a tiny budget, cpcs can be around £30 and the budget is just 2k. I am struggling to generate many clicks and as such, Ctr is poor. I have tried to expand the keywords but this hasn't really helped. My next step is to refresh ad copy however it has to be signed off by a legal team, which takes time. I have keywords on exact and phrase. Any traffic I get tends to bounce after about a minute. Any tips on how I could improve performance?

Many thanks

Jonny
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A little help?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello, Jonny.

What's your goal, with this campaign? You've mentioned you struggle for more clicks, and then talk about bounces. Do you really need to get more traffic, or would you be happy with more conversions, too?

If your ads are "locked" for now, simply adding more and more potentially unrelated keywords won't get you more clicks which could convert the same as the current ones, it will only get you more impressions (for a while, until the QS for those keywords degrades, because they are not relevant to the ads and don't get clicks), and thus lower CTR.

So what's left to do is to work on the landing pages and the current set of keywords.

If you have the time, look at your search term - ad - landing page trio, in a holistic way. See if the journey from search term to the landing page, through the ad, is indeed coherent. You might find some search terms that really don't go well with the ad, and some search term / ad pairs which do not go well with the landing page.

Hope it helps, having the ads locked is not really a winning characteristic of an account.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonny,

I addition to Mr. Colin, I would suggest you to check and perform following tasks:

Structure your adgorups with closely related keywords and do not use large numbers of keywords in an adgroup. (Ideally I would suggest you to have 30-40 keywords/keyphrases in an adgroup).

Use proper keywords match types. Rather than having only broad match keywords, I would suggest you to use EXACT MATCH, PHRASE MATCH, and MODIFIED BROAD MATCH types in your keywords. This would surely increase your QS and CTR.

Make sure you're having Search Network Campaign and Display Network Campaign separately.

You need to work on your landing pages too. Users perceptions deffer from owner perceptions, hence I would suggest you to ask for feedback about your webpage to the users and make appropriate changes to make it effective and user friendly.

Analyse your search term report and manage it effectively as it is most important term to optimize your search network campaigns.

Use proper use of negative keywords to avoid irrelevant clicks.

I hope it helps you!

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks avish, structure isn't an issue as we have tightly themed agroups with no more than 10 per adgroup.  We have also resorted to just using phrase and exact match, whilst this has improved CTR we are not recieving a great amount of impressions, when epople do actually click they don't hang around for long. I think the problem lies, like you suggested with the landing page. 

Jonny

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jonny,

It sounds good that you have well structured your account. As you're saying that when people click on your ads and land to your webpage they don't hang around for a long, that means there is less relevancy in your ad content and landing page.

For example: suppose you're using a keyword "stocks live chart" and having these words in your ad text but when a user clicks on your ad and land to a page where no live chart is streaming then certainly he/she would bounce back and thus may cause you low QS.

I would suggest you to use long tail keywords and analyse your search term report to identify the clicks you are receiving are relevant to your business and will benefit you. In search term report graduate those keywords which are giving you quality traffic with ROI and sweep those keywords which are only taking your money off.

Also ensure you are using both network separately.

Thanks!

Anand Vishwakarma