AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A Specific QS=1 Keyword Diagnosis and Questions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

It's an intense week for me to fix my AdWords account and got really frustrated on certain things. Here is the main one, unfortunately, is about quality score again.

This keyword (the only one in the ad group) below used to do well for our business. But with QS dipped to 1, it's doing nothing now:

1.PNG

The ad is below and the landing page

2.PNG

• So if you are the one to fix this keyword, what would you do?
  • Is our landing page really bad that only deserve below average?
  • Is our ad relevance really that irrelevant? Can anyone write a copy here that make it above average?
  • And how long it gonna lift this QS if I do revamp for this keyword?

Thanks so much! (I really our account get fixed soon so i can take look of other questions on the forum)

Jason

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
January 2016

Re: A Specific QS=1 Keyword Diagnosis and Questions

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

Personally I rate your ad and landing page as Average or Above average.

And just tried your landing page in the keyword tool and found the suggested keywords are also related to your actual keyword. So I assume the 'system' also thinks the page is relevant.

Make sure the content on the page is original, also check the page load time and device specific experience, these can improve the landing page experience.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

As CTR is the major component in calculating quality score, improving it will help to give a QS lift to your keyword.

The keyword in the screenshot above is in classic broad match. Which may be attracting a lot of irrelevant impressions, driving your present CTR (and the quality score) down. Have a look at the search term report to find what types of search queries are triggering your ads. Add irrelevant queries as negative keywords, which will reduce irrelevant impressions thus improving your CTR.

One more thing I would suggest here is trying a more restrictive keyword match type (if you are not using exact, phrase or modified broad match of the same keyword in your account now).

This will help you to eliminate unwanted impressions to a great extent which will again result in better CTR and quality score.

Deepak

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jason,

Small addition to @Deepak_V great advice,  I would also prefer to look into search query and work on all the queries bringing me conversions. Along with improving QS, our main goal remains brings more conversions at less cost. Maybe you can create new adgroups for converting queries or you can add those queries in exact match with dedicated adcopy in same adgroup. 

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Deepak_V,

Thanks for this tips! Just one quick question base on your reply:

new category 2 of abroad.PNG

Are you suggesting my Landing Page Experience and Ad Relevance will be Average or Above Average when I lift the CTR, even if I don't touch them at all, literally? Since you didn't mention these two criteria.

Thanks,

Jason

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Neha Gupta,

Oh I see what you means.

I guess after you done creating those converting search queries, you will then add them as negative keywords in the original broad match keywords so they won't compete each other anyway, and it also reduce impression so the CTR can go up. Am I assuming right?

It's interesting to know that you take good advantage of broad match keywords to discover useful search queries Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Jason

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jason Zhang
January 2016

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

Personally I rate your ad and landing page as Average or Above average.

And just tried your landing page in the keyword tool and found the suggested keywords are also related to your actual keyword. So I assume the 'system' also thinks the page is relevant.

Make sure the content on the page is original, also check the page load time and device specific experience, these can improve the landing page experience.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Jason,

yeah need to add those as negative in broad match keyword adgroup. Honestly, I don't use broad match type keywords. I prefer BMM as it brings better queries compare to broad. But I always prefer all converted keywords to be added in campaign with good bids. So, while looking into search query apart from collecting negative and positive, I also collect converting queries to add them in campaign if they are not added already.

Also you can add those queries in Keyword planner and look for more variations if available. Always keep bids competitive for converted queries.

Thanks
Neha Smiley Happy

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’