AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A Question to You: Has BMM Killed Phrase?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

After my last blog on structuring an AdWords account I have noticed that the majority of people use BMM and Exact keywords, or they go down the BMM Phrase and Exact road.

Over the last year, I’ve shown a preference towards using only BMM and Exact; because if there is a low budget, the keywords do not have to fight to show as it reduces the keywords list by only having these match types. Prior to this is I did use BMM, Phrase and Exact, and never had a problem.

Scenario:

Recently, I have tried going back to the old way of using BMM, Phrase and Exact.

I tested this on an AdWords account for a dental company in Winchester, which is currently running really well with strong statistics across the account. The most important keywords to the client are “Dental Implants Hampshire”, “Dental Implants Southampton” and “Dental Implants Winchester”.

Dental Implant  1

These keywords were added on BMM, Phrase and Exact. Each set of keywords has its own adgroup with the keyword in the headline and the locations in the display URL to help give them a good score. When adding in the different match types, I have found that the BMM and Exact match keywords have a higher score, and that Google just don’t show the Phrase match keywords and has them set to low search volume.

Question:

Is this because the BMM takes all the non-Exact match traffic making the Phrase match keywords redundant? What keyword match types do you use and why?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A Question to You: Has BMM Killed Phrase?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

This is a very nice question!

You are correct. In a sense, since the introduction of BMM, phrase match has become a bit redundant. I, personally, use only exact match and BMM (with or without close variants - depending on the  campaign).

My belief: it's a matter of time until  Google will phase it  out....

Having said that the algorithm has not changed. The keyword which would trigger the ad, is the one with the highest ad-rank. BMM has no "advantage" over other match types. 

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: A Question to You: Has BMM Killed Phrase?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Mathew, it is a good question!  The only thing I'd add to the discussion is that there will be, for some advertisers, an important difference in word order, which of course only Phrase and Exact can control, and if there needs to be leeway for additional words then Phrase is really the only choice (unless it's possible to provide an exhaustive list of Exact terms).

For example, chemical free food and free chemical food are entirely different things!  Even without such (admittedly spur of the moment) examples, I think there's a case to be argued that the word order might tell you something about the searcher.  As another extreme example, if someone searches for red leds and someone else searches for leds red, it might be that the second person has a more technical background, used to qualifying their terms and descriptions in that way and they might therefore be more likely to buy from my component store.  If this is true I may want to bid higher on the Phrase term "leds red". I'll admit I'm somewhat out on a limb here but there are probably better examples of where the order of the words may either change the meaning or tell us something about the searcher.

In the specific case of your screenshot (sorry, it's not very clear) it looks like the Phrase match has a lower QS and maybe a lower bid which, as Moshe has said, would almost certainly mean it would "lose" in a battle against the Exact and MBM terms when all three could match.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits