AdWords
5.6K members online now
5.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A/B testing interfering with landing page experience?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We've recently introduced an A/B test on a landing page for one of our campaigns which displays either version of the page so we can track which one is best for conversions. While one of the pages was written with the campaign in mind (higher keyword density) the other has an image in the place of text. While the text is still in the code for the landing page, I'm concerned that when the image shows, Google doesn't recognize the keywords and it gets a low quality score (currently it is 4/10 for many keywords.)

So, does anyone have experience with A/B testing and AdWords? Could an image being displayed half of the time decrease my landing page experience and thus my quality score? Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A/B testing interfering with landing page experience?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

First of all, the user experience with your landing page is what matters more. You have to focus more on the elements in your landing page that matter for users, don't obsess over the bots.

Yes, the bots do read text and don't read images, but if the text offers a poor user experience and the image offers a good user experience, the image will lead to higher page quality even though the bots can't recognize it. Google says they use a combination of automated systems and HUMAN EVALUATION to determine landing page experience on your site, so it's not only about bots.

Landing page does affect your quality score and hence your Ad Rank, but landing page is not the significant factor in calculating quality score. CTR on the other hand is the predominant factor in determining quality score, you have to focus more on it.

Keywords stuffing has no longer any effect when it comes to the organic or the paid results, on the contrast it can lead negative user experience. Google doesn't take into consideration the keywords density on a page. You don't have to include all of your ad group's keywords in the landing page , just some main keywords can convey the message to Google that your landing page match the theme of the ad group.

Yes, keep testing different lading pages with different headlines, titles, colors, buttons..etc but the bottom line is " Focus on the user and all else will follow".

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks - the landing page in question is here: https://www.hobbydb.com/static_pages/collection_management

I'm not sure what version you will get unfortunately, but I'm curious if there is anything I'm missing regarding landing page experience. We have tried to present our product in a clear and concise way without clutter on the page. I guess I am having trouble figuring out why we're getting a quality score of 4 for many keywords we're bidding on.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Here is a good article I read lately about A/B testing;
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20141118071656-111344452-5-reasons-why-i-stopped-following-a-...
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi Nate K,

Page load time is a significant factor in the landing page experience. Google PageSpeed Insights is show a very low score; 52/100 for desktops, 42/100 for mobile. Improving on that will help not only with the landing page score, but should also improve your bounce rate, avg time on site, pages viewed and ultimately your conversion rate.

Here's link:
http://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hobbydb.com%2Fstatic_pa...

It's not always possible to follow all the guidelines and suggestions. Do the best you can.

That said, the landing page experience is the least influential factor in you QS. A low QS, like 4/10, indicates you CTR is significantly lower than your competition. This could be due to using broad match. If you are using broad match, first consider changing those terms to BMM (just put a plus sign in front of each word in the keyword phrase. And run search term reports on those broad match terms. Add as negative search term that do not perform well. Add as phrase and/or exact match search terms that do perform well.

I wouldn't obsess over the landing page too much. Pay attention to your keywords.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks - I have forwarded that page to our development team. As for the keywords I have added the broad match modifier to many pages as well as changing some to phrase match. I've also done a fair bit of work on adding negative keywords, it turns out there is a lot more competition for "collection management" than I expected that has no relevance to what we do.