Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A/B testing ad copy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

Just wondering what are the key metrics I should be looking at when deciding which ad is performing better. Here are my thoughts:

1. Most important factor is actual goal conversions.

2. Second most important factor is CTR

Right now I have 2 ads that have similar CTR and conversion rate but one ad has a higher CPC and has a lower average position. How do I use this data?

Does a lower avg position mean lower quality score if I have bid the same amount on both?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: A/B testing ad copy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hey birchlore,

No, lower average position can be from a number of other factors, such as a competition and quality score.

The higher CPC and lower average position tells me that the quality score is lower than the other ad.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Birchlore,

I would look at the cost-per-conversion as the key metric. But that's not necessarily the end of the story. Could be the ad with the lowest cost-per-conversion doesn't bring in enough orders, for example if the CTR is low but conversion rate is high.

The ad itself has a QS, as does the landing page. But we never see that QS. It can be inferred as you suggest--higher CPC and lower position.

Lower position alone could be due to other factors, but I think that will be minimal if the ads are shown evenly and in one ad group. Both ads should be subject equally to the other factors. If they were in separate ad groups or campaigns, then I think those other factors should be considered.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

You should also look at the Google Analytics data.  I would guess that time on site for the more expensive ad is lower.