AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3K members online now
3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

A/B Testing Different Landing Pages in Same Ad Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We would like to start a landing page trial. Comparing the performance of one page vs another for ads with an Ad Group.

Is there anyway we can do this at an Ad Group level?

In terms of Ad Rotation we use the "optimise for clicks" option - so as our ads do not receive equal rotation simply adding new ads with the dest URL variation would be an unfair test. We don't want to change this setting as it will affect the other Ad Groups in the campaign.

Any help will be hugely appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

1 Expert replyverified_user

Warning: AdWords interface instructions or screenshots in this thread may be out of date as we move to the new AdWords experience.

LEARN MORE

Re: A/B Testing Different Landing Pages in Same Ad Group?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Mikey

In case you do not want to change the Ad rotation Setting , the only option left at Ad group Level is to create one more ad group with similar keywords and ad copies but with different Landing Pages , and to make the same Ad group run at Different Hours of Day , Lets Say Ad group A is running for 12 Hours and another Ad group B is Running for Remaining 12 Hours . & you will have to do pause ad groups in such a manner that both Ad groups A and B ,are Live on Day and Night Hours to get real results.

OPTION 2 is to use Google ad words editor and copy ad group in other campaign and change Ad rotation setting to spread evenly for all ads and then run ads.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello, Mikey.

Since you don't want to change ad rotation I think the best, in your case, would be to test landing pages outside of AdWords, either through Google Analytics Content Experiments (https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en) or through a third party application.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If I understand correctly, you should be able to set up an Adwords campaign experiment (ACE).

• Duplicate the ad group with the same keywords and ads.
  • Give the ads in the old ad group all the same landing page.
  • Give the ads in the new ad group the second landing page.
  • Set up the experiment
  • Launch the experiment and in theory you should receive approximately the same number of impressions for both landing pages (assuming you set up a 50/50 split in the ACE settings).

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

the problem is, if you create another ad group with the same keywords, your ad groups will be each others competitor in google search.

I suggest to use only one ad group.

In this ad group duplicate the ads, but with another URLs.

and do not optimise ad rotation.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Gergő,

If you simply duplicated the group and keywords you are correct, but if you use the Adwords Campaign Experiment feature they would not. They would split according to however you set up the experiment.

Although, the ACE feature will be discontinued in February 2017, but you will be able to use the campaign experiment and draft to accomplish the same goal.

Adwords Campaign Experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The issue i cant figure out, is what about sitelink extensions? Im running an A/B/C split on creative with 2 different LP's. But to come up with new extensions with in the same ad group and making sure its tied to the appropriate ad and LP is an obstacle. 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

So let's say you have 2 LPs and two sets of sitelinks, for simplicity sake. If you are trying to determine which combination of LP/sitelinks work best, then you would have to run 2 different experiments. You can only run one at a time, so they would have consecutively, not concurrently.

It would be like this:

Experiment #1

Original campaign: LP #1 and sitelinks #1

Draft campaign: LP #2 and sitelinks #1

Experiment #2

Original campaign: LP #1 and sitelinks #2

Draft campaign: LP #2 and sitelinks #2