2.8K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

90% drop in display network impressions

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Yesterday one of my campaigns was getting 13k imps per hour... today it's not hitting 1,000... my client has hired me for a trial period and is wondering what's wrong.  Anyone else seeing this? No changes made except pausing it yesterday afternoon and then restarting it after midnight.

This is display network, no keywords, no targeting of any kind except limited geography.

Just checking if others have the same problem.. anyone?

Thanks!

Brian

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 90% drop in display network impressions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Brian,

You said that you paused the campaign in the afternoon and then restored back after midnight. So that directly means you missed the impressions during that time period and it could be a strong indicator of impressions going down.

Is your campaign running only for 2 days when you noticed the impressions going down or it's a longer time?

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm talking about imps per hour, not the entire time period.  Yesterday they averaged 13k per hour, today 1k. It happened after midnight last night and remains low all day today.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

It could be due to the weekends trend as well. I don't know which business you are into but that might be a possibility.

Other than that, its better to look at the data for some good time period rather than coming to some conclusion after looking at  hourly data and that too for a day or so.

That's my understanding!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

It can't be business related, like I said there is no targeting other than geo in this display campaign.

Time will not answer my question, which was specifically were there any other advertisers experiencing a dramatic drop in display ad impressions comparing today to yesterday. 

The geo is very high income, so one theory is that many advertisers are hitting this market because it's a holiday weekend... perhaps that would explain why the changes started abruptly Friday night at midnight. Since my max bid is on the low side ($2), all these new ads in this market have pushed me out.

Having any other advertisers in the display network compare their imps from yesterday to today will confirm if this is a Google glitch that needs investigating or simply a normal function of the system.

Thanks pank anyway for your replies! Smiley Happy

Badged Google Partner
# 6
Badged Google Partner
I had a similar problem check the little bubble next to your ads and make sure they are showing

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Display ads don't have a status bubble, unfortunately Smiley Sad

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For me sudden increases and drops in impressions happened when publishers setup their adsense account to exclude certain advertisers that don't bring high enough income ( low CTR ).

Also can you look at what websites are in the report with 13.000 imp / hour ? Google display network chooses also to insert rectangular banners in the youtube channel and when a new video is launched it easily generates many impressions for a short time, and then drops to hundreds per day. Do you have any banners in your ad group ? How are impressions divided between banners and text ads ?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Great ideas Adrian but still no clues. The top websites each day were basically the same except for youtube.. it wasn't even in the top ten on the first day with the most impressions. On day two it was #2 after anonymous. 

The campaign in question is all banner ads (6 sizes) and no text ads. I upped my max bid from $2 to $2.25 during the last few hours of the second day and it picked up to about 50% less than the day before instead of 90% less that was showing earlier in the day.

The geo is a high income area around DC, so I'm thinking lots of advertisers came in for the holiday weekend, short of any other theories.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What is the outcome of this drop? Could it be resolved? I only ask as we face the same issue today (2016), display only, targeting only some countries. In the list of placements there is no website that would have disappeared, also the "anonymous.google" pool has not dropped heavier then all others... Our drop is about 80% at this moment. CPC about 0.9