Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

80% Average Bounce Rate

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All,

I'm getting an 80% bounce rate for the most important campaign and I can't figure out why. It looks as if someone just clicks and then closes their tab or goes back to the previous page immediately. I just don't see why anyone would click on the ad if they're totally not interested. The ads and the landing page are very much related. 

On another campaign, which is getting far fewer clicks - 0% bounce rate and an average of 7 pgs/visit.

I'd be grateful if someone could help me analyze the problem as I'm losing money fast and I can't figure out why. There must be a valid reason.

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 80% Average Bounce Rate

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello ;pmrozik

>> "It looks as if someone just clicks and then closes their tab or goes back to the previous page immediately"

Before getting into the "bounce rate"issue: Why your destination URL is not directing /sending the users directly to the relevant landing page (where they eventually ends up) ? Why users go through "intermediate" page?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for your reply.

I think we may have misunderstood each other. The ads lead users directly to the landing page, there's no intermediate page.

I've just double checked to make sure.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

So, if the start and end on the same page during the session; your only interest is whether they convert... (e.g.  fill in a form, or call.)

We might interpret differently "bounce rate". Please read:

Exit Rate vs Bounce Rate

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello,

If your landing page Bounce Rate for Adwords campaigns is 80%, it's a concern.

But at the sametime, I would also ask you whether you have created dedicated landing pages for your Adwords campaigns and directing the users to those single page only or are you targeting specific internal pages of your website for campaigns?

I am asking this because if it's a standalone single page which is being targeted, high Bounce Rate is certainly an expected behaviour. Bounce Rate is actually single page visit to your website, so it's logical if you have a high bounce rate for them for those pages.

What is the bounce rate from other traffic sources like google organic, referral etc...? Is it the same for those pages or less?

If I think other way round, there are chances that you might be targeting broad match keywords in excess for your main campaign leading to irrelevant traffic and hence increasing the bounce rate for your destination URLs.

Just in case if you are targeting dedicated single page as landing page for your campaigns, one way to reduce the Bounce Rate is to actually calculate the minimum time period for the users spending on those pages and track that as an Event. Then, it will no longer be considered a bounce if minimum time threshold is met. It's called Adjusted Bounce Rate. Read this blog post for more details.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Well.. I wanted to explain that is steps, Pankaj did it at once...Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I'm confused about the page mentioned: http://support.google.com/analytics/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2525491

At the bottom it says "no sessions began with Page A, so it has no bounce rate"

But the example says "Wednesday:  Page A > Page C > Page B"

Is that a mistake or am I missing something?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi Wolf359,

It's better to start a new thread with your question. Otherwise, it get's hidden here in a somewhat unrelated post.

Yes, that's confusing, but the bounce rate is still 0. The session on Wednesday, although it did start on Page A, it continued on to Page C then to Page B, so it is not a bounce.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Pete, thanks for responding.  The 0% bounce rate makes sense.  The "no sessions began with Page A" is the part i'm confused about.  Do you think that is supposed to say "no sessions ended with Page A"?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I get what you were saying now MosheTLV. The landing page is not the target page with the form and phone number, so there is an intermediate page as you'd correctly assumed.

I read the Exit Rate vs. Bounce Rate description and we're on the same page (no pun intended) Smiley Tongue Yesterday's bounce rate was 80%. I will have the campaign modified so it leads directly to the form and create a simpler form page as well to see whether it will help. 

Thank you very much, really appreciate it.