AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

50% Drop In Impressions - A little Shocked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Over the past 48 hours I have seen a 50% drop in impressions across my campaigns.  I have not made any changes.  My adwords impressions/traffic/spend has remained very consistent within a small range over the past 6 months.  Is this a result of all the changes google is making to adwords this month?  Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks for any feedback.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 50% Drop In Impressions - A little Shocked

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Zab205,

I don't think that you can know for sure in "48 hours" because you don't have enough statistics ("standard deviation" etc.).

The 3 things I do recommend you to check are:

1. Did you have any changes in Quality Score in many of your keywords in the last 48 hours?

2. Did you have any changes in your actual CPC in the last 48 hours?

3. Try searching your "strongest" keywords on Google Insights and choose "last 7 days" on the time filter.
    You might see a specific drop in searches in your keyword / vertical in the last 48 hours for some reason.
Good Luck :-)

Asaf

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi zab205,

In addition to what Asaf said above, I would like to add about View Change History. Sometimes we make changes in the past and the effect is seen after long time. So, try checking this report and see if you made any particular changes to some ads, bids, new keywords etc... sometime back and did they witness any decrease in impressions or any signifcant changes in terms of CTR.

Also the drop which you have mentioned, is it related to Google Search Network or Display Network?

Sometimes, you do get decline in impression share once you add any website exclusions inside Google Display Network Campaign.

It could also be due to decrease in the budget if you ever made in the past. Less budget will tend to reduce the IS for you.

Hence as I said, there could be many reasons for reduction in impressions. Best way would be identify it yourself and see what has made the difference.

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Have you taken a look at your impression share stats? Go to Campaigns and AdGroups and find the COLUMNS button > Competitive Metrics.

Enable Impression Share / Exact Match Impressio Share / IS rank and IS budget. Look at the previous week (when traffic was 'normal' and compare to the last several days 'abnormal' Keep in mind that IS stats take about 24 hours to make it into the adwords user interface so you may want to back up your 'abnormal' date range one day to get accurate results.

Let is know if you see lost impression share in a particular area.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for all the suggestions:

1. I checked my impression share and that has not changed from the past 48 hours comapred to the previous 6 months.
  2. The exact percentage drops in impressions broken down by network are as follows: Google Search - Drop of 30%. Search Partners - Drop of 25%. Display Network - Drop of 42%.
  3. My cost per click did also go down by 12%, which trust me, I'm not complaining about!
  4. In terms of checking quality score - Is there a way to check quality score over time?  I'm not quite sure how to do that.
  5. In terms of changes I may have made, I have not lowered my budget and have never come close to hitting the budget ceiling.  I do have autmated bid rules running, but those have running for 3 months without a hitch.  A few run daily and a few weekly.  I can see how maybe that is the cause, but could they really cause a 40% drop in impressions over night?

Thanks for all the help and any more feedback.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Did you add any negative keywords?

See your change history http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=19888 if you are not sure.

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

No negative keywords have been added in the last 3 months.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
So what kind of quality scores do you have?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My average quality score is around 5, with some as low as 3 and some as high as 7.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 10
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi zab205,

Have you made any changes to your bids? That could have some impact on your campaign performance?
Zee
G+