Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

2 word & 3 word keywords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Now here is a conundrum I am facing.

In my continuing experiments to optimise my AdWords campaign, I substituted one of my keywords "google adwords cost" with "adwords cost", both set to broad match (over a period of time I have accumulated a good list of negative keywords to negate wastage).

Now, what I have noticed is sort of a hierarchy in keywords: one letter keywords cost the least & generate the maximum impressions, 2 letter keywords cost almost double or more of one letter keywords while generating less impressions, and 3 letter cost still more while the no. of impressions goes down further. 

So I thought it would be useful to substitute "google adwords cost" with "adwords cost" with my list of negative keywords, as I will get more impressions at lower cost.

However, to my amazement, "adwords cost" is refusing to generate any impressions at all (I have lowered my by about 30%).

Any ideas as to why it might be?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 2 word & 3 word keywords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning. 

You may have lowered your bid below the competitive level so that your ads are only competing for, for example, second page SERPs placement. If none of the searchers so far have clicked through to view the second page of search results, then you would not have received any impressions yet. 

It's true that the "longer" the keyword is, the more precisely descriptive it is, so what you're seeing in your results is normal. Short one or two-word keywords pull quite a bit of traffic but it's also common that a lot of what they pull is not going to be relevant for an advertiser's purpose and so won't produce many clicks

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks for the answer Theresa,

Well, my QS is 10 for the keyword & so far, today (I made the substitution today morning) I have had 2 impressions with the Av. Position being 5.5

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Vineet !

What does the keyword tool tell you about estimated searches for your "adwords cost" , because it shows me "global mothly searches" of only 12100 (for location=US and english) while just "google cost" has 200.000 searches.

Let's not forget the broad match synonims and miss spellings, for the keyword" adwords cost" the keyword tool proposed the keyword "add words" which is not serving the purpose of promoting the "Adwords" brand.

Do you have more estimate searches for the 2 word keyword ?

How much time has passed since you introduced this 2 word keyword ? Maybe your traffic is affected by the weekend.

Notice in this example how broad "low-carb diet plan" can match a search for "low calorie recipes"

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

Maybe you got a lot of impressions for a match like "google adwords cost" = (people typed) "google cost" or "google price"

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Well, that's my point too Adrian.

"google adwords cost" was giving me very relevant clicks. But the no. of impressions was not going up. And it's been my theory (right or wrong) that whether you have long tail or short tail keywords, you do need a minimum no. of clicks per day to translate to leads (my own very loose estimation is that approx. 10 clicks lead to 1 phone call or lead).

Therefore, I have been trying to find keywords that would give me relevant traffic as well as volume in impressions (and therefore, more chances of clicks) at a reasonable cost. And that's why I have been trying to use two letter keywords as broad match, with negative keywords. I know that "adwords cost" may pull in a query like "add word", but it may also pull in queries like "google ads" or "google cost". And frankly, who knows which person turns out to be a lead.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

That's a fairly low average, Vineet, but you are winning at least a few first page impressions, which is something.

You might experiment with raising your bid back to the previous level for 24 hours--just to see what happens.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
well...I don't know if it's high or low...but the fact is I don't know who will convert into a lead & when...so one does need a minimum no. of clicks i suppose

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Have you tried bidding on 2-3 word expressions representing trendy concepts that are searched maybe by "do it yourself" marketers who reach a blockage in their campaigns and may be needing outsourcing for at least consultancy :

"enhanced campaigns"

"google places"

"google maps"

"youtube advertising"

"keyword tool"

"google analytics"

"broad match modifier"

"dynamic search ads"

"location targeting"

"adwords express"

"advertising mobile"

"dynamic search ads"

"product listing ads"

"conversion tracking"

"e-commerce tracking"

"cpa bidding"

If you exclude "forum" and "community" to avoid people searching for free advice, you could land on some leads.

These all lead to people who might know a little about adwords and might want to learn more from you.

Instead of drilling in a somewhat unsolvable problem, you could simply expand your campaign.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Adrian for your reply...yes the thought has occurred to me...I use "adwords" & "google adwords" in the broad sense so that people who look for adwords support & helpline may also see my ad. I do it with the understanding that some of them may be looking to optimise the performance of their account & may call me.

I changed all my keywords the day before. I now have keywords like "adwords cost", "adwords campaign", "adwords services"  & "adwords professional", all in broad match, with negative keywords in place. I am trying to see if these keywords pull in different queries or are they just duplicating each other. 

I also have keywords like "ppc professional", "ppc cost" with the understanding that some people will search with ppc rather than adwords. My bids are all middling.

Eventually, in the next 3-4 days, I hope to identify the best keywords of these, retain about 5 & increase my bids.

I hope what I am doing is logical & will yield me results.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

If you really want a flood of impressions use phrase matches like

"automated advertising" or "automated advertising services"

"internet advertising agency"

"online marketing expert"

"internet marketing company"

"search marketing company"

"pay per click" ( but exclude words like "definition" )

And you can replicate the list with "Advertising" instead of "marketing" or you can use modified broad match instead of phrase.

Think more like a simple marketing person in their 40s who are not so used to computers like you are, what would the secretary search if her boss would delegate her to find an online marketing service ?

Negative words for the above examples would be : jobs ,PR , books, advice, article,

You can even use "social media marketing" because you can advise them to use their google+ page or create one for them.

Also you can build phrases with variations : services, company, agency, outsourcing, department, firm, office, bureau.

Use an online synonym generator like this bellow , instead of reling on the simple broad match to bring you synonyms :

http://thesaurus.com/browse/tool