Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

2 same keywords in 2 Different Ad Groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I am using 2 keywords in 2 Ad Groups and I am not sure, How its effecting my campgain.

See here:

Ad Group 1:

Keyword A

Keyword B

Ad Group 2:

Keyword A

Keyword B

I am using these keyword with Same Match type. How Goolge will Consider which one keyword performing well, based on Max CPC, High Ad Rank, Best Quality Score?

I am using these keyword with Different Match type.

See here:

Ad Group 1:

"Keyword A"

"Keyword B"

Ad Group 2:

[Keyword A]

[Keyword B]

How Goolge will Consider which one keyword performing well, based on Max CPC, High Ad Rank, Best Quality Score?

2 Expert replyverified_user
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Vikash S
September 2015

Re: 2 same keywords in 2 Different Ad Groups

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Vikash S,

I would say in a very short and straight three points:

- Keyword with high ad rank triggers search query when multiple keywords matched with the search query. Ad rank = Max cPC * QS + Ad extensions & Format.

- Duplicate keywords harm campaign QS. There is no point duplicating keywords as ad will show up only for one keyword. Keep campaign clean.

- When you are having separate adgroups for different match types, use cross adgroup negative keywords such as add "Exact Match" keywords negatives in Phrase MAtch type adgroup.

Hope that helps!

- Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Friends,

Thanks for your kind suggestion, I also found some solutions its very helpful for me. Let me mention here:

If you have multiple keywords that are the same, the google will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type.

For example, if the search term is plumber, and your ad group includes both the broad match keyword plumber and exact match keyword plumber, then the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword.

When several broad match keywords in your ad group broadly match a search term, the google will prefer to use the keyword with the highest combined Quality Score and cost-per-click (CPC) bid. We call this combination Ad Rank.

When one keyword contains the entirety of another keyword, the google prefers to use the longer keyword. This is an exception to the Ad Rank rule above.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Vikash S,

You posted:
"For example, if the search term is plumber, and your ad group includes both the broad match keyword plumber and exact match keyword plumber, then the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword."

I want to caution you this this is true based a couple basic assumptions by Google. The first assumption is that all match types are in the same ad group. When match types are placed in separate ad groups, a broad match term could be preferred over the more restrictive match type. In this case, you would want to include other match types as negative keywords in each group.

Also, Google assumes that your bid for the more restrictive match type is equal to or higher than the less restrictive match type. You can alter the default behavior by placing a lower bid on the more restrictive match type.

Do not get the idea from here that you can place a lower CPC bid on the exact match keyword and get clicks for cheap. The above statement assumes everything but the match type is the same. If you place a lower bid on the exact match than on the less restrictive match types, the above statement is no longer true.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Vikash S,
Please visit below link I hope you will get answer of your question
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Improve-results/can-we-add-same-keywords-for-different-ads/m...

Thanks

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

HiVikash,

Welcome to the Adwords community

As you said 

I am using 2 keywords in 2 Ad Groups and I am not sure, How its effecting my campgain.

See here:

Ad Group 1:

Keyword A

Keyword B

Ad Group 2:

Keyword A

Keyword B

It means that you are comptiting yourself by use same keyword in two different adgroup with same match type. It will effects on your QS, and CPC.what google do is, it pick most relevent keyword at a time of auction.It will allow you to increase your cpc.

Best practise is, you can use same keywords with different match type as you have mention in your second example.it Increase your reach and it will never creates bad impact on your matrics .

Hope this will help you

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Vikash S,

I would say in a very short and straight three points:

- Keyword with high ad rank triggers search query when multiple keywords matched with the search query. Ad rank = Max cPC * QS + Ad extensions & Format.

- Duplicate keywords harm campaign QS. There is no point duplicating keywords as ad will show up only for one keyword. Keep campaign clean.

- When you are having separate adgroups for different match types, use cross adgroup negative keywords such as add "Exact Match" keywords negatives in Phrase MAtch type adgroup.

Hope that helps!

- Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Friends,

Thanks for your kind suggestion, I also found some solutions its very helpful for me. Let me mention here:

If you have multiple keywords that are the same, the google will prefer to use the keyword with the more restrictive keyword match type.

For example, if the search term is plumber, and your ad group includes both the broad match keyword plumber and exact match keyword plumber, then the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword.

When several broad match keywords in your ad group broadly match a search term, the google will prefer to use the keyword with the highest combined Quality Score and cost-per-click (CPC) bid. We call this combination Ad Rank.

When one keyword contains the entirety of another keyword, the google prefers to use the longer keyword. This is an exception to the Ad Rank rule above.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Vikash S,

You posted:
"For example, if the search term is plumber, and your ad group includes both the broad match keyword plumber and exact match keyword plumber, then the system will prefer to use the exact match keyword."

I want to caution you this this is true based a couple basic assumptions by Google. The first assumption is that all match types are in the same ad group. When match types are placed in separate ad groups, a broad match term could be preferred over the more restrictive match type. In this case, you would want to include other match types as negative keywords in each group.

Also, Google assumes that your bid for the more restrictive match type is equal to or higher than the less restrictive match type. You can alter the default behavior by placing a lower bid on the more restrictive match type.

Do not get the idea from here that you can place a lower CPC bid on the exact match keyword and get clicks for cheap. The above statement assumes everything but the match type is the same. If you place a lower bid on the exact match than on the less restrictive match types, the above statement is no longer true.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords