Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

2 duplicate campaigns. 1 old, 1new... very different CPC's

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

I decided to duplicate a campaign for the same website. The reason I duplicated it was because I needed to add a lot more adgroups and I didnt want to effect the current campain. The new one has been running for a month. The old one that has been around for about a year and a half is now paused.

I'm paying double per click than I was with the older one. 

Will this come down in time? The quality scores, click throughs and general data is all the same. Only difference is the old one never had conversions setup and never had sitelinks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 2 duplicate campaigns. 1 old, 1new... very different CPC's

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Warren_London,

When you created the new campaign, you QS starts all over and includes history from across all accounts, not just yours. I don't think I would have done that in this way. A better approach may have been to leave the existing campaign in place and add ad groups--or create a new campaign for testing your new ad groups.

Pausing your current campaign and enabling the old campaign could produce the same result. Hang in there with for a little bit and your scores should go up if the performance is the same.

Best of Luck,

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

The qulity scores for keywords are about the same on both accounts. They've always been around a seven. The new campain has 7.s as well

Would copying and pasting the adgroups and their keywords and ads into the the older campain be an idea?

Another thing I have a bad habit of is changing ads and keywords. I've just read you shouldnt do this. I change my ads once a week by editing them and I change keywords from broad to match to exact all the time.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning, Warren - 

I don't know where you read you shouldn't do that Smiley Happy but you should totally do that!  Or, you know, something like that.

Not sure why you change your keywords from Broad to Exact. If you want Exact match variations, it would make more sense to add them as new keywords, leaving the Broad match in place (pausing them if you don't want them active for a while) unless you just want to delete them? (Changing them from Broad to Exact effective deletes the Broad and creates a new Exact keyword anyhow.)

You should always be testing new ad variations. Not by editing your existing ads, but by pausing the lowest-performing ads in each Ad Group and adding new variations. Leave the best-performing ad active, at least until the new variations are approved and running--that way you don't have any "down-time" in your Ad Group. In the end, quality and performance metrics are largely dependent on account/campaign history, especially recent history. Leaving your best-performing ads active while new ads gather performance data helps keep that performance history consistent.  

As for editing, wait until you have a statistically significant amount of data before you edit any piece--whether that takes a week or a month--then make your edits wisely, and sit back to monitor the effects.  How often you'll need to edit depends on how quickly you're able to gather meaningful data. There's no hard-and-fast rule. If you get statistically meaningful data in a week, then analyzing performance and making edits every week is fine. 

As for your original problem--every AdWords campaign is a complex balance of components and performance. Any time you move or change anything, a new balance has to be achieved. Copying and pasting the AdGroups from your original campaign into the new one may and/or may not produce results that match what you got in the original campaign.

You have the choice, as Pete has said, of resuming your original campaign and leaving only the 'new' elements active in the new campaign or putting the 'new' elements in your original campaign, where the original elements performed well for you. If you have enough budget to service two campaigns, then running the new elements in a separate campaign to figure out which ones are the "good" ones might be the best approach. If not, adding the new elements to the original campaign would be my suggestion.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I think Google does what it wants. 

Both campains are replicas, I dont run them at the same time because they would conflict with eah other.

One is old and one is new but I'm paying double on the new one.

I did a wordstream grade and it said I was 99% more effective than others in my spend range. I spend £1000 a month. But now I get half the bang for my buck which increasingly frustrating.

I may try copy and paste all my groups with their content  into the old campain while keeping the ones in there paused and see what happens.