AdWords
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

2 distinct segments but they use the same keyword terms - how do I reach both segments via adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My company runs a financing marketplace - we bring together suppliers (of capital) with those who need it (business owners). To date, we've only targeted the business owners but we're launching a separate product for the suppliers (financiers). Our keyword research indicates that the keyword terms used by both segments (suppliers looking for investment opportunities and business owners looking for funding) have considerable overlap - i.e. there is no distinct portfolio of keywords for segment vs the other.

This presents a significant challenge as we can't serve 2 ads per keyword term with links to the same domain (as per Google's double serving policy). Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can get around this with cannabilizing our existing campaign? 

Many thanks for your input.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Re: 2 distinct segments but they use the same keyword terms - how do I reach both segments via adwor

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Aleccamp,

You should always have chose only 1 destination for each keyword. It might sound difficult in the beginning but it's actually not that complicated. Usually people search for longer queries and you should be able to separate these (ie xxx for business, xxx for consumer and xxx, where xxx is the generic keyword). Now you can create 3 different ad groups - one for xxx for business, one for xxx for consumer and one for xxx that's targeting the home page (if you have both products on your home page, otherwise creating a page that covers both would make sense like Lakatos mentioned).

Then create sitelinks for all ad groups, this way you essentially have 2 ads within an ad. http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375416

Also you might find that your xxx for business is actually more profitable than xxx for consumer so you might want to send the generic traffic to the business section and only include a sitelink for the consumer business.

Hope this helps.
Karl

View solution in original post

Re: 2 distinct segments but they use the same keyword terms - how do I reach both segments via adwor

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello aleccamp,

Did you check all means to target both the segments? I mean by inputting the website URL inside Keyword Tool or by doing all the brainstorming so as to identify the right set of keywords for right segment?

Similarly, there is a tool called Insight for Search which assists in identifying what set of keywords are trending good in which particular regions.

You don't need to create separate accounts for targeting both segments. But you can create separate landing pages for both of your segments and then target specific keywords for specific segments along with specific landing pages.

Additionally, try distinguishing services offered to both segments inside your text ads, so that right set of users evantually see your ads and respond correspondingly.

Another important point is that you can target similar keywords across different campaigns but with different target regions. That's allowed and will nullify the overlapping issue too. All you need to identify is what regions will best serve which segment of users. Based on that you can create separate set of text ads and target same keywords in different regions.

Hope that helps!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I believe there is no short cut for this and you can only come to a conclusion after running ads for few weeks. Here are some of the things you can try

1. Run financiers and investors ad in same ad group with 2 diffrent ad copies and run experiements on which keywords are working for which segment

2. You can run generic ad for both segments and land them on a page which gives them brief overview of services offered to each segment with more info link. From here you can track in GA which keep track of which keywords are driving more and better traffic to which section of website (financer section or business owner section)

3. You can run experiments with landing pages and /or adcopies to find out which keywords are working for which segments.

I am afraid this is a long and painful process and there is no short cut

you can read about campaign experiments here http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375390&topic=1713979&ctx=topic&path=17...

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Aleccamp,

My understanding is that the overlapping keywords constitute the principal issue. That's quite common when you are in between consumers and providers. The usual solution is to create a 3rd Landing Page for the ambiguous keywords which is divided into 2 parts, consumers and providers. The below company also suffers with the same issue in regard to quite a lot of ambiguous keywords. (e.g. their brandname)

http://www.clickbank.com/index.html

Refer to the above example Landing Page to see how the division is applied. This time between affiliates and vendors.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Karl (Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆)
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Aleccamp,

You should always have chose only 1 destination for each keyword. It might sound difficult in the beginning but it's actually not that complicated. Usually people search for longer queries and you should be able to separate these (ie xxx for business, xxx for consumer and xxx, where xxx is the generic keyword). Now you can create 3 different ad groups - one for xxx for business, one for xxx for consumer and one for xxx that's targeting the home page (if you have both products on your home page, otherwise creating a page that covers both would make sense like Lakatos mentioned).

Then create sitelinks for all ad groups, this way you essentially have 2 ads within an ad. http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2375416

Also you might find that your xxx for business is actually more profitable than xxx for consumer so you might want to send the generic traffic to the business section and only include a sitelink for the consumer business.

Hope this helps.
Karl