3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

12 or 18 or 24 months data for analysis

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a campaign with click/conversion rate of 0.18 in all time and cost per converted click is just about hanging by the thread . Question is is it fine to take into consideration last 12 or 18 or 24 months' data for analyzing a campaign which has been running for 3 years? Or shall it be more recent like 6 months or so. My budget is consumed pretty rapidly and I want to weed out keywords that only gets you clicks?

Another question would be - are 500 clicks enough to conclude that a certain keyword should be paused, particularly if it has exceeded average revenue per item mark? If not then how should that be?

Thanks in advance

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Ahmed Ali (Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆)
September 2015

Re: 12 or 18 or 24 months data for analysis

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ritu,

I think the important thing to look at is the full value of Search - Sometimes Keywords don't show a Conversion immediately and sometimes a Keyword leads to a first Click, but the next (or another subsequent) Click leads to the Conversion later on.

I'd encourage you to look at two things - 

To answer your question, yes, I think it's acceptable to look at the last 12 months worth of data.  That should give you a good sense for how your site is converting those Keywords and enough data for you to make informed decisions.  One thing to caveat - look at all your historical data just to see if there are Keywords that use to be great converters for you, but now are not.

Regarding is "500 Clicks enough to make a decision" - short answer is it depends, but in my opinion, yes, it should be enough.  Anytime you make decisions on data you want it to be statistically significant.  If those 500 Clicks are spread out over the course of several weeks/months, then I think you should be able to use the data to make a decision.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks Brian, that should prove helpful

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Ritu, further to Brian's answer, let me add a couple of thoughts.

Normally, the more data you have to inform a decision the better so the temptation would be to look at the past two years.  However, with AdWords you need to bear in mind how much the program, and the web itself has changed in two years.  Even if the Account had been completely untouched in all that time, was running the same Ads, the same Keywords, etc. there have been changes that would have influenced performance.  So, personally I'd say a year is the most you should look back with data, even if you have more.

As far as when you should pause goes, further to Brian's comments, it's important you're tracking all possible conversions, and not just the major ones.  For example, one Keyword might lead to a lot of sales online, but another mostly sales through the phone which you may not be tracking.  Other elements of the Account might lead to sign-ups, or a much slower buying cycle than others.  As Brian mentioned, it's not so much the number of clicks as a combination of the number and the time period involved.  Trusting data from 500 clicks received in a single afternoon is very different from trusting it with 500 received over a week.  Whatever you do, make sure you allow for daily and seasonal variations.  Some companies have very pronounced "seasons" where results can be far different from the average so make sure you're not looking at a period that's unusually busy or unusually quiet.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits