AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

100% Target Outranking still not displaying ads at #1

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hopefully someone can help me understand here. I set up a campaign to outrank a certain domain at 100%. At first my ad did show up on page #1, but underneath the domain I wish to outrank. After seeing this, I adjusted the ad, including content and URL, and my ad no longer is showing up. I did lower my per day budget to $50.00 from $100.00, however according to my reports we never spent more then about $22 per day. My quality score is 8/10, so what's the issue here. If I set my strategy to outrank at 100%, shouldn't it do that? Again according to my reports I am not reaching my max cpc or daily budget. If i can provide any other information, please let me know. 

Thanks!

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey FedBid, how are things?

Having the outranking portfolio strategy set to a 100% doesn't mean that you'll appear on top of your competition 100% of the time. Part of that is because you still depend on the auction system such as quality score, relevancy and more. Another important part is that the outranking system only changes your bid, so any other factor would depend on you.

A few tips that might help:

- Make sure to have a good account structure that allow you to write good and focused ads, so small themed campaigns/groups are recommended

- Include the main keyword of that group on your ads, at least twice is recommended

- Watch out for keywords match types. Make sure you don't have broad keywords that will trigger bad keywords or unwanted keywords for your business

- Use ad extensions, they have an impact on the auction system and it's a huge advantage over ads that doesn't have any

You can take a look at this guide for further things to optimize: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6154846

Hope this helps.

_

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the response. I have my max cpc set at $2.00, but according to my reports clicks are averaging less than $1.00 so shouldn't that mean the bid should continue to go up automatically up until it reaches the max? My quality/relevancy is all showing above average as well. I do have the main keyword showing once, but I can edit to use it twice and I'll ad the extensions to see if that helps. 

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Your cpc ceiling could still be limiting the impact of the Target Outranking Share.  Here's why:

Suppose your competitor has a Quality Score similar to yours, for simplicity's sake.  That would mean that the bid is the main differentiator between your ads for most keywords.  If your comptetitor has bids set at something like $2.50, then the competitor ads will outrank your ads.  You can't tell this from the Average CPC, because that's determined by how much it takes to beat out the ad below yours, it has nothing to do with the ads above you.  So, seeing a big gap between your bid and your average CPC, does not actually tell you much about what kind of bid it would take to beat out the ads above you; it could just mean that the ad below yours had a relaltively much smaller bid.

Generally speaking, if you're only focus is on page position -- or page position relative to a competitor -- you're going to have to accept a pretty high ceiling on your bids.  If you're also worried about costs getting out of hand, then definitely monitor how your costs are affected during, say, a two week test window.  If you find the bids are getting unsustainably high, then it's time to re-evaluate your strategy.  Generally speaking, it's more important that your bids are set at a profitable level for your particular business's cost/revenue reality than to just try to stay above the competition.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks - I will also raise my bid and see if that helps any. We are definitely in the test stages on this one!