AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

100% Exact Match IS When I have Adgroup Negatives in Tiered Setup

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello:

My campaign has match types broke up into ad groups. In the broad match ad groups, I have phrase match negatives of the same keywords. In the phrase ad groups I have the same keywords as exact match negatives.

When I look at Search Exact Match Impression Share, most of my broad and phrase match keywords show 100%. Sometimes there are other percentages as well. Other than the occasionally overlooked ad group level negative, how is this possible?

I originally thought perhaps Google uses 100% rather than a null value...but I also see plenty of null values for these scenarios.

Any thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 100% Exact Match IS When I have Adgroup Negatives in Tiered Setup

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

This is a good question - and Im not sure of the answer. But my first thought would be try and add in exact match negatives on the broad match ad groups (in addition to the phrase match negatives). Again, Im not sure if that will impact things (technically it should not, right?) but it could change the exact match impression share from 100% to null.

Youre only running these campaigns on the search network, correct?

Ben

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Not sure I understand the scenario, but Exact Match Impression share means that the ad was shown when the query exactly matched the keyword, including when it was a broad match KW
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi guys,

Something is smelling here. Let's say your phrase match ad group has one positive phrase match keyword and its negative exact match in it. Do you see something similar to the below scenario?

Phrase Match Ad Group
***   keywords   ***                                          ***   EMIS value   ***

"san francisco"                                                          100%
-[san francisco]                                                             ----

I am asking it because it's nonsense. Look: it would imply that each time the exact search term san francisco was keyed in by a user the phrase match keyword "san francisco" triggered an ad, which would mean 100%. However, that opportunity is clearly excluded by the negative exact mach keyword -[san francisco] being added to the ad group. The only logical conclusion under that scenario could be that EITHER no one used the search term san francisco under your targeting settings OR the figure 100% is just a placeholder. (An alternative solution could be allowed by the fact that positive exact match attracts close variations while negative exact match does not exclude them. However, it would be interesting to see such a scenario.)

Based on the above said, I'd like to ask you to post a screenshot clearly showing those 100% values and the values in the number of impressions column. I'd also appreciate if you could investigate the Search Terms report and advise us of your findings relative to the issues. Thirdly: your targeting methods may also be interesting in finding the solution to the mystery. If you cannot provide the above information, we will only be able to make guesswork that I'd prefer not to.

Best,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

"An alternative solution could be allowed by the fact that positive exact match attracts close variations while negative exact match does not exclude them. However, it would be interesting to see such a scenario."

Upon further investigation, this seems to be the case.

See Keywords Below:

EMIS Keywords.PNG

As Ad Group negatives I have "cleaning service" and "cleaning service near me" (phrase match negatives).

However, in the search term report I see that close variants were what triggered these keywords.

EMIS Search Terms.PNG

Unfortunately for me, it appears that while targeted keywords pick up on close variants, negative keywords do not. This is bad news for match-type-by-ad group or match-type-by-campaign strategies.

Agree? Disagree?