Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

1 day remarketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all.

I have a question regarding 1 day remarketing lists. I have many display remarketing campaigns using remarketing lists having 1 day membership. The lists exclude the ones that converted.

But these lists are very unstable and have jumpy audiences. For 1 week for example there are enough cookies, then the next week they are below 100 or for one month there are not enough cookies and then for a few days the following week the list are back on track and so on. This is very annoying as the campaigns are not delivering.

My question is, what do you suggest? I guess one option is to expand the membership duration to more than 1 day or raise the bids on the 60 days campaigns, from which the 1 day list is excluded. But what else can there be done?

Thank you 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: 1 day remarketing

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello,

To be honest with you, membership duration of single day seems to be one of the reason for this un-stability which you are talking about. Reason being that after every single day, the remarketing cookie would be reset and the list will again populate depending upon the fresh new cookies in a way how fast they are collected.

Another reason could be people using some sort of ad block and doesn't want to see those ads popping up again. So if these sort of users increase sometime, it will again affect your Remarketing list.

It's better that you should try to increase the membership duration based on the lead/sale cycle of your website. Doing that would definitely enhance your Remarketing campaigns and you can work more effectively.

Read more on Remarketing strategies here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2476691

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I'm not sure I understand the issue, but if your list duration is for 1 day then people will be added to the list today and drop off the list tomorrow. So the numbers on the lists are bound to fluctuate as you get visitors to your site each day - and since the minimum list size is 100, then if you don't get 100 visitor to your site, then the "current" list will be below 100....

I suspect (although this is just my gut feeling) that Google is going to struggle with a 24 hour list because the lists don't seem to get updated on an hourly basis... this is likely to be part of the problem.

My first thought would be to extend the cookie duration of the one day list to, say, three days. If you also have a 60 day list, then it is clear that you are not only able to sell to customers (or provide the service) for 24 hours after their first visit - it just seems more probable.

This will give more stability, and more numbers to the lists. It is more likely that with a three day window the list size will stay over the 100 visitor threshold more consistently.

Whilst it shouldn't make any difference in theory, I do find that Google doesn't seem to like change very much and seems to get into a rhythm. It seems to struggle a little when its rhythm is broken, and what you are describing is rhythm breaking at its best! I know that is giving the system "human" feelings... but this is my experience...

It's a little like when there is a payment failure, even after the billing is brought up to date, the traffic takes a few days to recover and get back to it's previous levels.

Let us know how you get on widening the 1 day window - it will be interesting to see.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Agree with above answers. At the same time, I must say it's interesting.

Curious to know the logic behind this 1 day remarketing list. I came across this for the first time, wondering to know the scenario better. 

Thanks
Ratan

Join me on Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, the 1 day remarketing list works just like you guys mentioned. It is curious how some stable 1 day remarketing campaigns, for sites with big traffic, convert better than the 60 days ones. Probably the ad is closer in time with the customer's visit on the site so the memory of it is still fresh. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Site with big traffic will more likely have more than 100 visitors per day so the list is consistently over the 100 mark. This is what I was mentioning about the list switching on and off - Google won't like that...

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Francesca,

Another aspect to consider with regards to the big websites is the waterfall strategy that they usually employ. Perhaps you should consider this yourself, here is a basic understanding of how it works:

You set up a few remarketing lists:
1 day : Frequency cap set to 3
3 day : Frequency cap set to 3
7 day : Frequency cap set to 2
14 day : Frequency cap set to 2
28 day : Frequency cap set to 2

What happens here is simply that one day 1 a user will receive roughly 10 ads, day 2-3, 7 ads per day, day 4-7, 5 ads a day and so forth.

that way you are able to keep larger lists, have a deeper remarketing plan and ensure that users receive the most remarketing early on when they are most likely to convert and your brand is most fresh in their minds.

If you have a company that is perhaps selling a product on a monthly cycle, then you reverse the lists and employ them as negatives in order to ensure that the users closer to the 30 day period receive the remarketing.

Hope this helps

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I have no frequency capping on 1 day campaigns. I usually go with 1 day and 60 days campaigns, excluding 1 day from 60 days.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
personally I still think that for most accounts a 1 day list is going to be unstable... but that is just a gut feeling - no actual data ;-)