AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

1-2 Low Quality Score with No Impressions?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I've got several keywords with quality score 1 or 2. They all have 0 impressions.

They are exact and phrase match with two words and the word or / and in them like:

"red and blue"
[red or blue]
etc.

- The ad title has both words in it.

- The landing page title tag has both words in it.

- The landing page h2 tag has both words in it

- The service being advertised is highly relevant.

I read somewhere that starting quality score, the ctr component (which is supposedly the major component in determining QS) assumed your ctr will be the average of the other advertisers in the group (since you don't have any ctr data yet.)

I'd say the other advertisers for the same keywords have highly relevant ads.

Interestingly, quality score is much higher for the same keyword phrases (all match types), like scores of 6,7 and 8 but without the "and" or "or" in it (so: "red blue" or [red blue] or +red +blue.) But I don't think that's necessarily the issue as I've seen this happen with keyword with no impressions without the and/or in them

So what's the issue, most likely?

Re: 1-2 Low Quality Score with No Impressions?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Are the keywords getting impressions in ad preview tool?
if not, what does the tool report as the reason why?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Tested several of them with score 2 with the "Rarely shown due to low quality score" indicator and they all displayed as the #1 ad both in preview tool and an actual search!

Seems QS is very unreliable with little traffic (when the account is relatively new) so these may all be false alarms.  Kind of frustrating.

I also noted on some keywords where it says the bid is lower than first page bid, the average position was 1 !  Lol.  Nice way though to try to get me to raise my bids unecessarily!

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
IMO, you are correct on all fronts Smiley Happy

You will notice over time however, that AdGroups with keywords that have the "below estimated first page bid" status will have a reduced Impression Share due to rank. This means that if you want full exposure, you will have to raise the bids to the estimated first page bid that AdWords recommends, regardless of position. My strategy...keep CTR high and continuously try to hammer that bid price down. If it goes below first page bid estimate, raise it back up and try again next week!

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
When you hover over the little bubble beside the keyword status, what does the quality score breakdown show? There should be a breakdown for landing page/CTR/Relevance which indicates whether each component is above average, average, or below average. That might give you some insight as to where to start.

Hope this helps!