Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

0 Impressions: do I bid to little?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am running my first campaign. I am doing this because I wanted to get my feet wet, so basically it is only an educational experience for me - I have no product or service to sell. 

I created image ads, targeted US females, display network only (obviously) with NO keywords. I bid $0.10 per click with $5 per day budget. There is no keywords and no real goals. The visitors would land on my already high-trafficed pure informational website - that's all. 

I got my images approved two days ago but 0 impressions so far. Am I bidding too little? Are there any other possible reasons why my ads get no impressions? I really don't want to raise the bid (as I said I am simply spending money and consider it my education for now). Any advice?

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: 0 Impressions: do I bid to little?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ubound, it's really impossible to say exactly (or even roughly) what your bids should be in such circumstances but I'd say 10c is a little on the low side, especially for image ads.  Image ads are a bit of a special case as they need to use up an entire ad block to show - effectively they have to outbid 4 or possibly 5 text ads that could appear in that same ad block.

If you want to continue the experiment, I'd suggest raising your budget and/or trying some text ads.

Are you only targeting US Females or have you targeted one or more topics as well?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Ubound,

Glad your ad began to show! Sometimes the Display Network statistics can take time to update in your account but you should see them within 24 hours. 

Here is a helpful article about Display Network optimization that you might find useful. 

Hope this helps!

Rachel

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi ubound, it's really impossible to say exactly (or even roughly) what your bids should be in such circumstances but I'd say 10c is a little on the low side, especially for image ads.  Image ads are a bit of a special case as they need to use up an entire ad block to show - effectively they have to outbid 4 or possibly 5 text ads that could appear in that same ad block.

If you want to continue the experiment, I'd suggest raising your budget and/or trying some text ads.

Are you only targeting US Females or have you targeted one or more topics as well?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Cobnut and thanks for your reply. 

Yes I also chose some interests in beauty and fitness. I thought it might be too low for US in this category, so I changed to All countries and territories about 7 hours ago and still no impressions. I thought I could get away with cheap clicks because I am not targeting keywords, but seems no Smiley Happy

Thanks!

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I raised my bid to $0.80 and set to All Countries and Categories. I know I chose beauty and fitness - that is competitive - but I figure $0.80 for click from somewhere in Africa would be enough... The ads are still not running. I am a little frustrated and really don't know what to do. Unfortunately I chose prepaid option and already paid otherwise I would probably cancel Smiley Sad 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Okay... Congratulate me, I got my first click!!! It's strange that Adwords dashboard still shows 0 impressions and 0 clicks, but Statcounter and Analytics show one click. Yay! 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Ubound,

Glad your ad began to show! Sometimes the Display Network statistics can take time to update in your account but you should see them within 24 hours. 

Here is a helpful article about Display Network optimization that you might find useful. 

Hope this helps!

Rachel

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes, everything is great. Thanks for article!