Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

changing URL name

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My client wants some of the URL paths changed on his website, i was wondering what are the proper steps to take in order to change them without confusing googlebot. 

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Amanda A
March 2017

changing URL name

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Amanda A,

It should all be done first with the website server and then with Google Search Console.

1. Rename Webpages and Rework Menu/site structure. 

2. Go to hosting server (C-Panel, etc.) and set up 301 redirects for the old addresses to the new. This can often be done via the WordPress admin panel instead of the server. 

3. Audit the website to verify URLs are now correct.

4. Go to Google Search Console and submit a new XML sitemap. 

5. Review all of the Google Search Panel for other improvements to make. 

6. Audit all AdWords ads, digital ads, social media links, etc.. to remove old URLs and install new. The 301 redirects will capture and preserve anything you miss, but I still prefer to do so manually, too. 

At this point, you can rest and relax. Check Google Search Console every 24 hours for one week and adjust, as needed... and add/edit 301 redirects until there are no more errors. After a full week, you can check it weekly.

Kind Regards,

James