Partners
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

When to expect full rollout of Expanded Text Ads in Adwords web interface + Adwords Editor?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @AdWordsEng-Igor,

You've given us some direct answers in the past, so I hope you don't mind if I tag you for this question:

We've developed our own technologies for ad creation, and as we're rolling out the first version internally, we have the option to adjust the character limits / structures for our templating system (we generate mass volume, and store everything in our databases).

As I understand, the new expanded text ads will support 2 x 30 character headlines, a longer 80 character description, will drop the display URL and automatically generate it with the final url.

Given that we need to hardcode this into our system, we have several options:

1) Rollout our system with the current limits of 25/35/35/255 -- and go through the headaches to modify everything (including ads in our system once the upgrade is done on Google's end for all accounts + Adwords Editor).

OR

2) Wait for Google to roll out the new expanded text ads for the majority of the accounts + Adwords Editor -- and this'll depend how far Google is from a full-rollout, including upgrades to the Adwords Editor..

Given that you may have some additional insights on timelines, would you be willing to share any insights so that we can make a good decision?

Any and all insights will be useful.

Cheers,

Michal

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: When to expect full rollout of Expanded Text Ads in Adwords web interface + Adwords Editor?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee
Technical details of expanded text ads are available here:

https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/guides/expanded-text-ads
https://developers.google.com/adwords/api/docs/reference/v201605/AdGroupAdService.ExpandedTextAd

As to the dates - I'm not really at liberty to say. It's going to be "soon" - soon enough that you likely may not want to invest in building a new system based on "traditional" text ads.

Re: When to expect full rollout of Expanded Text Ads in Adwords web interface + Adwords Editor?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Igor,

Thanks for the prompt and candid reply.

When you say "soon" are you referring to a full rollout in the Adwords web interface + Adwords Editor? We don't push our data via API yet, however it's in our roadmap -- so for the moment we need to rely on the Editor.

Will these new expanded ads be served worldwide?

As far as old ad formats will go: I take Google will still serve them once they fully rollout the new expanded text ads + will give users access to add/edit/modify them in both the Adwords interface + Adwords Editor? Are there talks about timeline before they get completely dropped?

Our system is technically ready, and the adjustments may take us a few days. So hopefully we can see a the pushes from your ends within a few weeks...

Let me know!

Thanks,

Michal
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Michal B
July 2016

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Yes, I'm referring to full rollout in the AdWords interface and Editor. Barring unforeseen circumstances, both are expected to go out on the same day, in not-too-distant future. On that day, new Editor version will be made available for download, and an upgrade would be offered to existing users through the usual mechanism.

How these ads would serve, I'm not sure; that's outside my area of expertise. My job is to collect data from the advertiser, and deliver it to AdWords system. I only have a vague and general notion of what happens to it once there.

Traditional text ads will co-exist with expanded ones for some time. They will certainly be fully supported, editable and so on, in the next Editor release (the one that happens "soon"). How long this will last, I don't know - I assume there would be some kind of effort to get advertisers to migrate over, but am not familiar with any details.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Michal -- We were told that it would be in the next 30 days (I think it was last week when I was told).

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you for the insights Igor!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Shanee!

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
And it's out.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Sweet! That was quicker than expected. We're digging into it -- thanks for following up, very thoughtful of you!

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Is there a new reference for the CSV file structure for the new expanded ads? https://support.google.com/adwords/editor/answer/57747?hl=en&ref_topic=2986631