Partners
3K members online now
3K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

What's the likelihood Broad Match Modifier gets killed off?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey everyone,

After posting this question, I thought to myself: what's the intent behind the new Exact Match Close Variant? If they may provide similar, yet more restrictive opportunities compared to Broad Match Modifier, is this an attempt from Google to explore the idea of killing off Broad Match Modifier match type?

Looking forward to hearing thoughts.

Cheers,

Michal

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What's the likelihood Broad Match Modifier gets killed off?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Michal B,

A lot of people are asking themselves the same question. And for me personally, it remains a mystery. Here are the most useful references I've seen on this:

Personally, I think it is an attempt to serve more search queries that previously fell into the Broad Match Modified (BMM) or the BM bucket with a tighter keyword match.

There are a few serious PPC managers out there not using the BMM at all and commanding big budgets. Their accounts are set up to utilize Phrase match and/or Exact match, that's all. Those accounts may benefit from the relaxed exact match. Or not.

Hope this helps,

-Julia

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Julia_Muller,

Thanks for sharing this, very insightful.

Towards the end of the podcast, it sounds like they're implying that Exact Match Close Variant will replace Exact Match altogether. Did I understand that wrong, or is Google really enforcing it?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, I believe that is the case @Michal B.

Exact match has been changed to include added function words (the, for, from, to) or may remove those function words. And the word order inside the Exact Match may now be reordered to match the query.

Some good examples of how exact match will get matched in this article: http://searchengineland.com/google-exact-match-close-variants-word-order-function-words-271395

-Julia

Julia Muller,
AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I'm one of those that never uses BMM.  I think most people do not use it properly. I do hope it goes away... Never been a fan.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for sharing @Julia_Muller

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey @Shanee_Kirk, thanks for jumping into the conversation -- are there any specific reasons why you never use BMM? I do agree that without proper negative management, BMM isn't quite useful.