AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
6K members online now
6K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

I guess Google isn't really my partner....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So, a prospect that I am quoting SEO and Google AdWords sent me this today:

"Hi Gary this is Angela following up. I called Google today to talk about starting a new email account so I can start Google business. 

I wanted to share with you what they said. They said that working with SEO companies is too expensive and that they are now offering a new deal called Google express where they do everything for you for a $50 monthly charge. What is your opinion on this as I did not sign up for it but they reiterated a few times that SEO companies charge too much and that they do everything that they do for a fraction of the cost.

I'm hoping this doesn't offend you I just really want to know the difference."

Hey Google, I'm not really feeling the love here.   [censored]?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Adwords Express is something that Google pitches to businesses quite a bit. It's been a sore spot for lots of Google Partners, however, Adwords Express is limited in its capabilities and can't be fine tuned and managed to the extent that actual Adwords campaigns can. As far as SEO is concerned, Adwords Express has absolutely zero to do with SEO. Neither Adwords nor Adwords Express will have any impact on the organic ranking of your client's site for important keywords. If they are looking to you for SEO, I'm assuming that they are not comfortable paying for all of their traffic. If so, they still need you for SEO.  They should also still use you for Adwords. Adwords Express is like having the keys to a Ferrari but not being able to get out of first gear. If they want a sophisticated, customized solution, they still need you for Adwords too.

I hope that helps.

Craig

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Craig, I understand all of that, I've been doing this for some time Smiley Happy

My point is that the AdWords Express Sales Team is misleading the client and not providing any benefit to me, a Google Partner.

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

You are correct! I have never heard of them claiming that Adwords Express will replace SEO for improving organic rankings. If they're doing that, they are indeed misleading your client and they need to be spanked!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hahah! Indeed!    

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I've also never heard of Google "managing" SEO or SEM for a fee.  I don't think that they do this as far as I am aware.

Badged Google Partner
# 7
Badged Google Partner

The story doesn't add up, Not saying what you stated is wrong, but what was stated TO YOU by the client is a bit out of touch.   "Google Express" is a Local Shopping Delivery service like Amazon Prime Pantry.

Google doesn't charge fees, except for a tangible product ( music, phone, wifi, etc)

Google as stated and you know does Adwords Express.

Maybe Angela got confused and though that for just $50 a month she could use adwords express to do much better then SEO ( a sales line about the result at the top of the page - ie better then SEO).

Regardless, I am not a Fan boy by any means, and the "partnership" has been truly lacking since inception, and I wouldn't put it past them, but In this case I think the Listener Heard what she wanted to hear, relayed what she wanted to state.

Maybe do a conference call as she called them "back" to find out more details and you can Hear exactly what is being said or inferred?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, I think she is referring to AdWords Express.  

Re: I guess Google isn't really my partner....

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

This seems like a fun conversation so I will surely jump in the mix. 

Google AdWords Express (AE) offers free support when someone spends $10 or more per day. As we all know (verified by the previous replies), AE is a simple marketing solution for those small businesses looking for a simple system. AE has absolutely nothing to do with SEO (search engine optimization), nor does the all powerful AdWords. We have organic listings and we have paid listings... then we have SEO. Three separate products/services that work in different ways to promote a business online. 

Google's view on SEO can be found here. It's what they say, it's what they promote, and it's what can be stated as coming from Google. There are endless people stating "this or that" about Google, but it does not mean it is from Google. And there are workers for Google that actually state some odd stuff at times, sadly, yet that does not make it correct or from Google. It's important that we all verify & debunk (like you/we are doing now) info clients bring us as coming from an official source, or as being something to act on, since they are being duped and/or twisted & confused into believing something that is simply not correct.

With that said, I have fielded two different requests in the AdWords community over the past year where customers were contacted by "supposed Google AdWords employees" that were offering a special, limited time case study where they would receive unlimited support with a fully managed marketing package if they spent (one time it was $50 per day or more and another time it was $100 per day or more) for 30 days with AdWords. One of the people said that they used it for a few days and when they asked for info about the progress and what was being done and if they really were a Google employee, the person become agitated and shut the whole project down and said they couldn't work with someone that didn't trust them. Sounds real professional and credible, right?

And I have heard tall stories about Google in nearly every respect. I think Google even ate some ants once in the third grade, although I can't find proof of it. And I have taken at least 100, if not a 1000, phone calls over the years supposedly from Google stating all of the great things they were ready to do for my clients if I gave them full access to the accounts. Some even offered to send me a free gift for my troubles. Most of them could not state AdWords features correctly, nor did they actually know my email, name or anything much other than what is online. 

On another front, I had a client last month spend $200 on tech support to Microsoft for their computer because a popup said they had to have service done to continue use... and that tech support reformatted their hard drive and brick'd the laptop. The support ended up NOT being who they were "certain they were." They actually went online to verify they were who they were... and clicked on a well-crafted ad that connected them to another person that stated they were in fact talking with Windows personalized care... and they were made to feel safe and certain until. Well until they restarted the laptop after the remote session and saw the fresh welcome/setup screen. They were absolutely certain they were talking with legitimate people that truly cared for their needs. 

They ended up spending another $182 with my company to install the O.S., restore files, software programs, drivers, printers and more.

I could go on and on, since I have been around for quite some time, but the point I am making is that we must stress to our clients that this stuff goes around and that there is simply more to the info then they are hearing. We must lean back on the "if it sounds too good to be true" value to bring light to the muddled info. I love Eric's advice to have a conference call with them and actually hear the sales pitch, get the NAP info for them, and then compare it to reality.

I will add that my experiences and anyone else's experiences can vary greatly, yet they all can be correct or they all can be wrong. In the end, Google could be doing a trial study or a employee could be running their own moonlight run without Google knowing... and we won't know until we know, which will be too late. We must present ourselves as professionals that work hard and honest for our clients. We must present ourselves as the best person for the tack at hand... and that  if we are given the chance, we will prove it. We must outperform, under promise and over deliver. We must overcome the scams and deals and super buys that lead nowhere.

We all can do that... since we are Google Partners that perform a great service for a great value. I know I do.   

Kind Regards,

James

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

You know, the price of the service varies a lot and if the SEO company you work with means

that you are able to grow your business exponentially and maybe for you it would make a 

difference in your income significantly let's say you go from almost no income to $25K in 

less than a month...

I don't know about you but I would be happy to pay them $2,500

or even $5,000 every month and yes that's probably too much but I don't have to

think twice about a $20K extra in my pocket... 

This can easily be done by targeting surgeons, landscaping companies, lawyers etc.

and focus on their pain points which is costing them time or too much money to

come up with a solution on the spot would be an incredible way to show your confidence

and isn't something I pull out of my ass.

What I try to explain is that you need to see it in the right perspective if you talk about

the costs of SEO services, I hope this helps.

Ricardo Penders CEO

<edited by a Community Manager, per Community Posting Guidelines>