Partners
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

Demographic Targeting - Parental Status

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello everyone,

I'd like to get a better understanding of the accuracy of AdWord's demographic targeting, in particular, I'd like to understand how accurate Google's parental categories are, how the information is gathered, and where to view how google has categorised me so I can gauge the accuracy of the targeting by checking the profiles of people in the office.

I realise that demographic targeting is not as accurate as a platform like facebook, but I'd still like to figure out if it's worth pursuing. I'd appreciate any feedback with regard to successes or failures in your own campaigns.

Thanks in advance.

M

1 Expert replyverified_user

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

hi @Matthew J

How Google determines demographic information

When people are signed in from their Google Account, we may use location signals and demographics derived from their settings. Consumers can edit their demographic information by visiting Ads Settings. In addition, some sites might provide us with demographic information that people share on certain websites, such as social networking sites.

For people who aren't signed in to their Google Account, we sometimes infer their demographic information based on their activity from Google properties or the Display Network. For example, when people browse YouTube or sites on the Display Network, Google may store an identifier in their web browser, using a “cookie.” That browser may be associated with certain demographic categories, based on sites that were visited.

more info can be found here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383?hl=en

regards,

Zaby

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

If you test the setting out on a campaign and watch for changes positive or negative that is usually the best way to find out if a particular demographic segment is going to be good for a particular campaign.