AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Partners
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

Concern- Request for Old Rep back

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hi, is there anywhere that I would be able to request my old rep back? I am having an issue with my new rep. 

My old rep was the "lower-level" support, but he was great. I had him on chat. He was super helpful.

The new rep that I have, and I hate to say this, is not, and is the higher-level Google support.  I am constantly getting answers of "I don't know", or things along those lines. I made an appointment with her yesterday, and then she said that she didn't have time to look at the account beforehand, then said that she wasn't assigned to it so she couldn't help me, then said she could not tell me who was even assigned to it for privacy reasons...and to make an appointment for a phone call to have them be like, I can't help you and can't tell you who can is beyond infuriating. 

Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to her this new person's feelings or anything, but her level of support is more definitions and giving me stats that actual account advice. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rachelle h
May 2016

Re: Concern- Request for Old Rep back

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I don't rely on the reps to do any of our work. From what I know, I don't think anyone at our agency does, though I think our general manager sometimes has them setup custom stuff for special cases.

The experience with most of our account managers with our reps has been much the same as everyone else I'm seeing, a lot of "I don't knows" or "Call support", even after we have explained all the steps we went through with support before completely exhausting our options there. Typically takes a few weeks for us to get a response too. After I complained about our rep on here, the community team actually passed on my complaints; instead of improved service I got a copy and pasted email from the policy team about part of the issue and our rep's manager sent an angry email to my boss.

So yeah, so far the partner reps have just come across as glorified sales people who don't know anything except how to pitch spending more money on Google to us and our clients. In the past when the partner program first launched the rep I had was super helpful and knew her stuff, but that was years ago. On the other hand, I have gotten some amazing help from people in the support center. It's not the standard, but there are some real gems in the support team. I wish there was a way we could give direct feedback and recommendations, there's a couple I would love to have as our reps.

Just to be clear, this does not represent the views or beliefs of the agency I work for. This is my personal opinion based on my personal experiences with the crappy service we have gotten.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
I have had issue in the past and what seemed to work for me was asking to speak to the boss, when they claimed they were I asked to speak to their boss and after digging deep I was able to a get a definitive answer to my question at the time, so you might try calling in and asking for management to see if you can explain the issue to another manager who might be able to assist you. I heard a few months back that they were going to be cycling through more often which it sounds like its the case.

Spencer Wade, AdWords, G+ & WebSearch Platinum Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here
Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | Directory | Partner

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

It is so strange! So my old rep was the revana rep, and he was awesome. always there when i needed him. Now the rep is actually Google, and the answer is always "I don't know." It is really awkward since this is the higher level of support. It sounds like a few other people are having this same sort of problem, and it's making it so I don't feel like I can get help. My revana rep did YouTube proposals for us as well, and when I asked originally she said she didn't know if she could, and hadn't heard of it...always I don't know. (She said she can now, but at this point I'd rather go back to my old one.) 

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
WOW, sorry to hear about all your troubles... I have a Revena contact if you need me to send them a message asking about your case.

I have always been skeptical of having anyone do my work, I hear this all the time where agencies rely on their reps to do the heavy lifting, is this normal? Not saying you are using them to do this but I have heard of this before, is this normal to collect money from clients to set up their accounts and in reality its Google doing it? This to me doesn't make sense and if its normal than that explains why Google contacts our existing accounts, they feel as if they own as much of it as the agencies who rely on them to do the work.

I am just looking for Clarity, do Badged Partners reply on Google to do set up and proposals?

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner
Not sure what you mean...I do all my own accounts and proposals. I am not asking anyone to do the heavy lifting. I am asking for help with an already established account. Also, I wouldn't recommend anyone else building an account. Even the free numbers people can call- accounts are typically built to spend, not convert.I've seen accounts and had to redo them since they have all broad match keywords and get weird terms in there unrelated to their company.

For YouTube, I have had proposals made simply because they have a better interface to pull estimates of CPV and we do a lot of TrueView ads. My rep suggested he pull the proposals. I do all the set-up.. For display and everything else, I create the proposals and accounts. But, if I have a question or need advice on account performance then my rep shouldn't say I don't know or refer me to the 866 number.

I have spoken to my old rep and he said his hands are tied since Google took our account, so I don't know if there is a partners support number I can call or write a letter about our experience or what.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I see, I have heard this over the last year, when people say "My rep did it" is why I was asking...

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author rachelle h
May 2016

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I don't rely on the reps to do any of our work. From what I know, I don't think anyone at our agency does, though I think our general manager sometimes has them setup custom stuff for special cases.

The experience with most of our account managers with our reps has been much the same as everyone else I'm seeing, a lot of "I don't knows" or "Call support", even after we have explained all the steps we went through with support before completely exhausting our options there. Typically takes a few weeks for us to get a response too. After I complained about our rep on here, the community team actually passed on my complaints; instead of improved service I got a copy and pasted email from the policy team about part of the issue and our rep's manager sent an angry email to my boss.

So yeah, so far the partner reps have just come across as glorified sales people who don't know anything except how to pitch spending more money on Google to us and our clients. In the past when the partner program first launched the rep I had was super helpful and knew her stuff, but that was years ago. On the other hand, I have gotten some amazing help from people in the support center. It's not the standard, but there are some real gems in the support team. I wish there was a way we could give direct feedback and recommendations, there's a couple I would love to have as our reps.

Just to be clear, this does not represent the views or beliefs of the agency I work for. This is my personal opinion based on my personal experiences with the crappy service we have gotten.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner
We are having the same issue. We're in Canada and it seems to be even worse because some of the policies are different up here and can sometimes be confusing. Call tracking for example was a real mess where many of our clients ended up having their forwarding number be a long distance number and it kept telling the people that their call would be charged. We called support but got the "I don't know" answer. Now call tracking is mandatory and we still don't know if it's fixed in our region.

We also do all our own work but they used to help us with information to make for new customer pitches and our old rep really helped us out with some of their bizarre policy contradictions. Now we don't have anyone and no one will even tell us if we have a rep. It's been very frustrating.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Man it's frustrating hearing that it's not just one bad apple out there. While I don't think a full on review and voting system would be good for reps (it'd turn into popularity contests) I wish there was something client (us) facing from Google that let us get more info on our reps and give feedback. Maybe they should have to participate in the community here, though to be honest I have no idea how one would measure and implement that; but hell measurement is Google's specialty, they can figure it out. But I think being more in the trenches would do the Partner Reps some good. I get that their main job is to make us as agency's as effective as possible at getting our clients to spend more money with Google, and that's not something I'm opposed to in principle.

Where it becomes an issue is when we don't get the support we need to actually implement the strategies that set us apart from the "opportunities" tab in AdWords, or when we get pitched this great new product like Video Shopping campaigns that it turns out is fundamentally broken at launch and wouldn't be working until months later, making us look bad to any client we tried to implement it with. For us as agencies and contractors the main benefit of a partner rep is their ability to go beyond what support can, to access resources that support cannot, and to be on top of cutting edge Google products and how they can EFFECTIVELY be implemented, thereby allowing us to stay competitive, profitable and future forward; that is how we can get ouor clients to invest more in Google products. I want a rep that will go to bat for my clients, not tell me that they should rethink their entire business model so it doesn't run into as many policy gray areas.

That's my two cents anyway. And again, mine alone, not my agency.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
we had a rough run for a few years but we basically just didnt use the service.
then as we scaled in value to Google we have last year started to be supported buy two absolutely wonderful, skilled, knowledgeable, proactive reps based out of Google Sydney.
I hear quite often ' Google did the account setup so it must be really good' nope - that is not the case usually not that good. You should be doing your own work and be able to do it or not charge for a service you don't know how to provide - it is not really fair.
I reckon use your rep for support, for ideas, for heads up on upcoming features and betas etc.
NOT to do your job for you.

Sounds like in this case it is just a bad rep as there are some great ones.
In general I see that AdWords quality is pretty poor by most agencies in AUS/NZ market.
A lot of in house ad people are not much chop either but really hard for companies to know whether their agency/in-house adwords is any good or not especially when the Google Partner badge doesn't really do anything.to ensure quality