Partners
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border

Click Fraud

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi folks,

I have a high-anxiety client who is asking me to help him respond to a spammer who wants him to pay for their snazzy 'click fraud detection service.' I tend to dismiss it offhand, but I'm hoping there are stats or insights out there that can back up my claim that click fraud is far more likely in the display world than in the search world, as search relies on a query being entered in the first place.

Can you picture a scheming hacker somewhere cackling over a script as it gleefully increases the average cpc of keywords in a particular industry? I can't, but now it's all I can think about.

If anyone knows anything about ClickGuardian.co.uk, I'd love to hear it.

cheers,

Julia

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Click Fraud

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Julia V,

Good to hear from you again. 

I have not heard of that company, but I am in Florida, USA, so there are a lot of things in the UK I am unaware of. Robot LOL

Let's see... I would say that Google AdWords does a really good job catching most click fraud and actually gives us the tools to tackle the rest. If you are wanting to eliminate dead clicks, Remarketing campaigns would need to be high on the list since a visitor needs to fist visit the website for them to be served. 

From here, I would suggest you are looking at Analytics closely, along with server reports to see what is taking place. Dig into the actions of the visitors and identify where a visitor is coming from by analyzing IP addresses. I am always looking for a very low amount of international traffic for my local, small businesses and block foreign countries on the server and with exclusions in AdWords. To help with this, you will want to drill into this further within AdWords targeting. I really hate paying for dead clicks or noise (traffic that does not convert or have any relevancy to needing/wanting my client's products or services.

In the end, I would employ all of the features you can within AdWords and the hosting server before paying a third-party company... unless the cost of using one outweighed the dead clicks cost and/or time or cost to implement a tougher strategy. Actually, I would still avoid it, and only use one as a last resort if I was simply overrun and overwhelmed.

If you can show reporting that shows how the paid clicks are dialed in to prospective customers and reporting with goals & conversions in place... you should negate the need for any Guardian of the Galaxy!     

Kind Regards,

James

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks James. All these points are basically what I communicated back to the client, now we'll need to see if he has faith in me and Google, or if he supports the spam email he got. We'll know soon!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Very welcome. Please let us know the final outcome... which I hope is the right one, which is the one you want, too.

Kind Regards,

James