1.5K members online now
1.5K members online now
Ask questions about badging, the Partners portal, and anything related to your Partners account.
Guide Me
star_border
Highlighted

Automatically updating product feed from Google Tag Manager Schema

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, 

I'd like my merchant center shopping feed to automatically pull in price and product data from my ecommerce website. So, for example, if I change a price of product X from $5 to $10, my feed will update that product X's price without me having to do anything.

I've learned that Merchant center can do this IF microdata/schema is in place on every product page. I don't have microdata on every page, but I do have Tag Manager.

So my question is... can I create a Google Tag Manager Tag that dynamically generates schema for each of my product pages, then have the merchant center read the schema from the tag and update the product feed?

There is no documentation on how to do this, or if it'll work, but this article helped me implement schema. So my trouble is the next step and if I even implemented this correctly.

Any thoughts?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Automatically updating product feed from Google Tag Manager Schema

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Lauren,

I have only mildly played around with what you ware wanting to do but it does work. The first thing to realize is that Google Tag Manager will not insert schema... however it will insert javascript that will insert a JSON-LD tag.

Your article covers it pretty well, where I actually used info from a different one which I liked. You can follow along with this article. As it states, you would test it with Tag Manger (stage & test). However, I am not sure how this will interact with your system of auto updating the product feed.

@Celebird would be the only person I can think of that could crack this puzzle.  

Have fun and let us know what you discover. 

Kind Regards,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi James, 

Thanks for your response & helpful article. Maybe I need separate tags for each schema microdata? What I have in place right now is one JSON-LD tag placed on all product pages and it looks like this:

<script type='application/ld+json'>
{
"@context": "http://schema.org/",
"@type": "Product",
  "sku": "{{dlv - ecomm_prodId}}",
  "name": "{{dlv - ecomm_productName}}",
"offers": {
"@type": "Offer",
  "price": "{{dlv - ecomm_prodPrice}}",
  "priceCurrency": "USD"
  }
}
</script>

I'm hoping this will pick up product id, product name, and product price and transfer it to my Google sheet (feed).

Any thoughts?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Lauren,

how about to use services wchi do it automatically? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i need same work in website...

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is your web site on Shopify/Magento/Etsy ?