6.7K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

wrong business linked

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

For the longest time, when I Googled myself, it linked to a former business address, but not to myself.  I'm a psychotherapist, so what happened was another therapist's name came up with my former practice address.   I hadn't worked at this location for over 10 years and have no idea why her name is associated with my Google search.   I tried to remove it years ago and it didn't work.  Thought Google business could be an easy way to do it but I can't go through verification because the business is no longer there at all and this woman is long retired.  I just want to unlink any association to that address or her name from mine.  Suggestions please?  

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: wrong business linked

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @serena c

Google likely still has you associated with that old address due to other online sources. I noticed your listing on healthgrades.com has your name associated with the 6980 N Port Washington address. The same is true for a listing for you on healthcare4ppl.com

There are a couple things you can do. You could create a listing for yourself at your new business address. Please refer to the guidelines on the proper way to do this: https://support.google.com/business/answer/3038177

There's a section near the end of that article titled "Individual practitioners" that you should read.

If you create and verify a listing for yourself at the correct business address it will likely resolve the issue quickly. But, I would still look at other references of your name with the old address and try to update them. The process will be different on each site and some might be easier to update than others but I think it's time well spent.

To track down listings to update you can just search your name in Google. You can also search your name together with that old address. You can also search your name together with that old phone number. Most of the websites you find should let you either claim and update your listing for free, or they should at least let you submit updated contact info. You probably won't be able to get them all but that's okay. Just update the ones you can.

Good luck!

TomW, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was your question answered? If so, please mark the post that answered it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.