AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

My Business
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Has someone else verified your business? Learn how to recover ownership
Guide Me
star_border

beyondmenu.com hijacked our google my business listing - again

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Bounce Milwaukee

2801 S. 5th Ct.

Milwaukee, WI 53207

(414)312-4357

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bounce+Milwaukee/@42.9937376,-87.9194111,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4...

http://bouncemilwaukee.com (though beyondmenu keeps changing it to bouncemilwaukeewi.com)

Every few weeks, someone at beyondmenu.com (Kydia) is somehow able to verify our brick and mortar business (I think by creating a new listing and marking ours as a duplicate, as we now have three, all marked as duplicates). We get an email saying that this person wants access:

Someone has requested ownership of Bounce Milwaukee on Google My Business.
Fon Wilson, Business owner
awilson95209@gmail.com
awilson95209@gmail.com)

We immediately deny it, but they are somehow able to verify it anyway. All they do is to switch our website from bouncemilwaukee.com to bouncemilwaukeewi.com - which is their food delivery service. It's led to numerous terrible reviews, and many confused customers who think that we only deliver pizza instead of also being a family-friendly entertainment facility. I keep calling (both Kydia and google), and google is able to fix it temporarily, but then this happens again just days or weeks later. How do we prevent this? It's costing us a lot of time, money and aggravation. I don't even understand how they generate revenue from this. They sometimes take orders and we don't ever get them, then the customers end up mad at us and (concievably) get a refund from them, since we never got payment, but how is this profitable? 

I'm seeing in other threads that there's speculation that they're calling businesses and getting an employee to somehow verify it, but that doesn't seem to make sense in our case. I'm often there myself and we've never gotten a call like that.

In the past, we've requested access from them, and they'll actually make us a manager - but not with enough access to change the website back to our own.

Is there any way to prevent this? Is it possible to request that another step be put into place before our ownership is transfered? We're trying to log in to change our holiday hours, but we can't until it's changed back, and we can't wait another 7 days for them to respond.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bounce M
December

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

That are great news -it's really awesome!

Unfortunately I can't t tell you any method or steps to prevent such hassle again in future.

I'm not even sure how beyondmenu achieved  getting the ownership in the past without verifying it (what means somehow to "PIN-verify" the listing) Such a PIN verification shouldn't done without anybody of your stuff ( I  would suppose at then least)

@TomW what do you think?

How would you mean did the gangsters achieve to get the ownership other as per PIN exchange?

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hey @Bounce M

in case you give me a good proof being the real owner of the listing in question

I will then do my best to help you.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Attention: Please make sure to mention me by adding @[myname] to your responses. Otherwise the notification might not make it and your thread will go unseen.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I run into this all the time. While Beyond Menu is the worst, I am seeing it from other 3rd party providers also.  One of my clients, Jesses Mexican Grill lost their listing to Eatstreet and he still can't get it back.  Certainly, refusing orders is a must and cancelling service must follow, but as you realized that hurts both you and your customer.  Calling Beyond Menu seems futile but you should continue to try.  They may relent if you get angry enough.  Going the support route can work but be prepared to provide ownership documents.  One thing I have learned is that if you have an email with the domain of your listing @bounce, it goes a long way with Google.  Be relentless, and call them every day for an update.  It takes time and when it does switch protect it.  This listing is extremely valuable and all links should lead to your website.(However, you still let them order from 3rd parties there which makes no sense.)  Good luck!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

http://www.bouncemilwaukee.com/uploads/2/5/1/5/25154718/img-6647-1_orig.jpg

Hope this works. I hosted it directly on an images page of our actual website. Thanks so much for your help. I just don't know what to do to prevent this in the future. If you need additional proof, I'm happy to provide it.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've called Kydia (the company behind beyondmenu) numerous times. They just constantly say that they'll pass on my request to someone, and no action is ever taken. 

How do we protect it once we get it switched back again, though? When we deny them access to the verified listing, they seem to just make duplicate entries and are somehow able to verify those without our knowledge, then delete the one that we had before. We do have an email with our domain name, too, though we prefer our gmail address. Is there a way that we can use that email to better protect ourselves from this in the future?

And we don't mind using GrubHub and Eat24. Those services we pay a small fee to to take our orders, and (unlike beyond menu) we agreed to do business with them. It's worth it for us to not have to manually take down food orders when we're busy. We've never had any sort of business relationship with beyondmenu, though, and it's just baffling how/why they're doing this to so many restaurants.

Thanks for the advice!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

This is a nice proof Ryan and it make me laugh (maybe a judge on a court wont accept it as a valid one)

But I will do.

Before escalating your ownership issue  to Google: when have you last time tried requesting the ownership back from the sucking gangsters using "Automating Ownership Conflict for Individuals"

And please keep the photo accessible until I made an escalation and got any response from Google

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you, Helmut! We put in that request yesterday (after realizing they had hijacked it again), and before that it had been a few weeks. In the past, they have graciously made us a "manager", but they haven't yet responded to this one. I'm concerned because our busiest day of the year is this Sunday for New Year's Eve. Customers are coming to us for information not for food, but for an event for their kids, and getting beyond menu's awful page. If we need to wait the 7 days again, it's going to disappoint and confuse a lot of customers.

I'll be sure to leave the photo up. Sorry about the messy hair, but I wanted to try to fix this before looking nice :)

Thanks again for your help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Whoa! I called Kydia again, and actually got through to a real person. I explained that we didn't primarily do food, and that most people coming to our website were not looking for food to be delivered, and that it wouldn't actually benefit them to keep hijacking us - and they transfered control back! This is new! How do I prevent this from happening again, though? I'd love to think that they've turned over a new leaf, but they also asked if they could stay on as an owner because they paid $300 for online ads. I said that, no, we didn't give them permission to stay on as an owner, or for those ads, but I suspect they'll be back. Is there any way to ask google to not switch the owner again without some verification above their usual threshold? Are there steps I can take to keep this from happening again? The owner seems to be a new google profile (with no picture, etc), linked to our email address, with which we can make edits, but I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks much!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bounce M
December

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

That are great news -it's really awesome!

Unfortunately I can't t tell you any method or steps to prevent such hassle again in future.

I'm not even sure how beyondmenu achieved  getting the ownership in the past without verifying it (what means somehow to "PIN-verify" the listing) Such a PIN verification shouldn't done without anybody of your stuff ( I  would suppose at then least)

@TomW what do you think?

How would you mean did the gangsters achieve to get the ownership other as per PIN exchange?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Ryan,

You need to talk to your staff and explain to them not to be duped by phones calls to release verification codes. This listing is really the only way 3rd party providers get orders and that is why they are so aggressive.  The other way is when a operator allows them to process on their website and once that happens they now own the customer data and have the ability to market to this customer at anytime.  You are not alone, many operators do what you do, not realizing it just is not a good idea.  Find a provider that works for your brand and allows you to keep all the information.  There are many!